• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leonard hawkins

What is the name of your state? Florida

I heard recently that Florida law changed concerning alimony and cohabitation. My divorce states that alimony ends if my ex lives with an unrelated male for more than a year. However I believe the law has recently changed and can also include a related male. Does anyone know for sure as she has been living with her father for over a year and he contributes substantially to her financial well being. Thanks!

LdiJ

leonard hawkins said:

I heard recently that Florida law changed concerning alimony and cohabitation. My divorce states that alimony ends if my ex lives with an unrelated male for more than a year. However I believe the law has recently changed and can also include a related male. Does anyone know for sure as she has been living with her father for over a year and he contributes substantially to her financial well being. Thanks!
There is no way that a law would state that someone couldn't live with a member of their family and still collect alimony.....and if it did, it wouldn't limit things to just the male members of their family.

leonard hawkins

leonard hawkins said:

That makes sense but does anyone know what the specifics are on the new law concerning ending alimony/cohabitation?

LdiJ

leonard hawkins said:
That makes sense but does anyone know what the specifics are on the new law concerning ending alimony/cohabitation?
Go to your state government website. There will be an area that gives information regarding new legislation. Normally it references "bills". You should be able to find your answer there.

LdiJ

Ok....I went and did it for you.

A bill was introduced in 2004 that referenced cohabitating with a member of the opposite sex in a "defacto marriage". (which of course wouldn't apply to a family member). However that bill died in committee.

A similar bill has been introduced in the 2005 session and has gone to committee.

leonard hawkins

Thanks for the information. I received info from another website that said I may be able to have the alimony reduced if I can show that her expenses are not as high anymore since someone is helping to support her. I will pursue that avenue.

Skigator80

Cohabitation in Florida

Florida law may be changed as the FL senate is voting next week, on 23 Feb to see if the bill passes. On 02/15/05 SENATE On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 02/23/05, 2:00 pm, 401-S

enate 0152: Relating to Alimony ------------------------------------------------------------------

S152 GENERAL BILL by Siplin
Alimony; defines term "de facto marriage"; requires court to terminate
payment of alimony if there is competent, substantial evidence to show
that recipient former spouse is cohabitating with person of opposite sex
outside of legal bond of matrimony. Amends 61.046,.14. EFFECTIVE DATE:
Upon becoming law.
11/16/04 SENATE Filed
12/03/04 SENATE Referred to Judiciary
01/31/05 SENATE On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 02/09/05, 2:00 pm, 401-S
--Temporarily postponed
02/15/05 SENATE On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 02/23/05, 2:00 pm, 401-S

Bill Text
Version: Posted: Format:
S 0152 11/16/2004 Web Page | PDF

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">