• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL on background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueschords

What is the name of your state?
I live in Middle Tennessee.
In 1998 I entered into the National Guard and at the same time was hired by a company as a weilder in the same town. While I was at work I injured my neck and was unable to work. I informed my unit that I was injured with Dr. notes and was still made to drill under great pain. I was having a hard time getting treatment and had to take to company to court and won. I was offered a different job where I didn't have to do any labor or moving around and I excepted it. I then saw military Dr.'s and ended up with an medical rating and receved an honerable discharge. Recently while looking for work, I was informed that I have an AWOL in my background check, which is keeping me from getting work. It's a very small town. please help me get my life back.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Who informed you that the AWOL in your record is preventing you from getting work?

blueschords

After applying for a job I would recieve a copy of my background check in the mail. Or during an interview the interviewer would ask if I had a problem with having my background check, I would tell them about it. The last time the lady gasped, listened to what I had to say then then politly saw me to the door saying she would talk to her staff, but I haven't heard her. How can I get it off. It's been on there for along time I just recently found out it was there and should have been able to get a job along time ago, now I have this huge employment gap.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, for one thing, you're making a MAJOR assumption if you're thinking that each and every employer who turned you down for a job, did so for this reason. I've been hiring people for a number of years and I've NEVER even so much as looked at an applicant's military record, let alone turned one down because of what was on it. The fact that one person apparently did so (and you do not have any proof whatsoever that this was the SOLE reason) does NOT mean that this has been the case each time.

Hopefully someone with military experience can tell you what to do to have your record amended. I can't. I chimed in because I DO have knowledge of hiring processes, and I can assure you that in a small town in the current job market, it is VERY unlikely that this is the problem in the major percentage of your work attempts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">