• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Widowed Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mokek

What is the name of your state? MA

My brother unexpectedly passed away about 1 month ago.
His wife of just less than 1 year is now faced with immigration issues. She is from the Philippines.
Her appointment with immigration, which was supposed to be with her and my brother, has been rescheduled to March due to the blizzard here in the east.

These are obviously very unusual circumstances. Can anyone tell me what her options are for staying in the U.S.?

thanks

Timm

ImmigAttyLana

It would depend on how long she has been married to him prior to his death. Normally, these are automatically terminated unless there are humanitarian grounds for not doing so.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Mokek

Re: Widow

MA

She was married to him just under 1 year. i believe their anniversay is early next month and my brother died January 10th.

Tim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">