• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

T.V. fell and hit my head

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

headhurts

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?I live in Florida. I was staying as a guest at a hotel. I was going to watch a movie but needed to turn the T.V. towards the bed. The T.V. was placed in the upper portion of an amoire. When I tried to turn the T.V. the cord was caught somehow, so I tried to move it and the T.V. came out and fell into my forehead causing me to be knocked down and left with a concussion. The management was called and they took pictures of my face and replaced the T.V. I had my 2 children with me - ages 7 and 9. No one checked on me and the next day I was in too much pain to drive home. I finally went to the ER the day after that. The hotel states they are not negligent because the T.V. would not have come out if I did not try to move it. Does anyone have any comments on whether the hotel is negligent or not?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

headhurts said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?I live in Florida. I was staying as a guest at a hotel. I was going to watch a movie but needed to turn the T.V. towards the bed. The T.V. was placed in the upper portion of an amoire. When I tried to turn the T.V. the cord was caught somehow, so I tried to move it and the T.V. came out and fell into my forehead causing me to be knocked down and left with a concussion. The management was called and they took pictures of my face and replaced the T.V. I had my 2 children with me - ages 7 and 9. No one checked on me and the next day I was in too much pain to drive home. I finally went to the ER the day after that. The hotel states they are not negligent because the T.V. would not have come out if I did not try to move it. Does anyone have any comments on whether the hotel is negligent or not?

My response:

No, they're not.

It sounds to me like you got off balance as you were attempting a five-finger discount.

IAAL

panzertanker

headhurts said:
It would seem that the TV would not have fallen on your head if you had not moved it... they might even try to sue you for moving their property without permission!!!!

Be more careful next time and tell me you did not realize that the cord was hindering you from moving the TV?!!!!!!!

S

seniorjudge

headhurts said:
I did not try to move the T.V. from its location - I only tried to angle it towards the bed.
Based solely on your own description of the situation, you have no case:

When I tried to turn the T.V. the cord was caught somehow, so I tried to move it and the T.V. came out and fell into my forehead causing me to be knocked down and left with a concussion.

panzertanker

headhurts said:
I did not try to move the T.V. from its location - I only tried to angle it towards the bed.
And so, using the law of physics, more than 50% of the mass of the TV would have had to leave the table it was resting on for it to fall off and hit you in the head...

OR

using Sir Isaac Newtons' Laws and the theory of Relativity, "an object in motion tends to stay in motion", ergo, you were "tipping" the TV and it fell over and hit you on the head...
Either way you see/speak it, the TV fell as a direct result of you intervening on its peaceful existence; on the table , angled the way it was!!!

headhurts

Thanks for your opinions

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am somewhat surprised by the sarcasm from some of you - this truly happened as I described. I will, however, accept your suggestions.

panzertanker

headhurts said:
Thanks to everyone who replied. I am somewhat surprised by the sarcasm from some of you - this truly happened as I described. I will, however, accept your suggestions.

I never said that it did not happen as you described, I did say

Either way you see/speak it, the TV fell as a direct result of you intervening on its peaceful existence; on the table , angled the way it was!!!

That makes it your fault. sorry you are not happy with the answer....

S

seniorjudge

I am somewhat surprised by the sarcasm from some of you

Sarcasm in learned in the brutal trenches of law school; no one ever recovers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">