• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tattooed1

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My wife and I have been married 6+ years. Before we were married, she got pregnant as the result of a one-night stand with someone so forgettable that she doesn't even remember his name, let alone anything else.

Now 6 years on, we're still married, and that little girl only knows one person as "Daddy". I want to adopt her and change her last name. My questions are twofold:

1) Is there a process by which we can file the adoption ourselves?
2) Since we don't know who the birth father is, what do we need to do with regards to his parental rights?

VeronicaGia

Tattooed1 said:
What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My wife and I have been married 6+ years. Before we were married, she got pregnant as the result of a one-night stand with someone so forgettable that she doesn't even remember his name, let alone anything else.

Now 6 years on, we're still married, and that little girl only knows one person as "Daddy". I want to adopt her and change her last name. My questions are twofold:

1) Is there a process by which we can file the adoption ourselves?
2) Since we don't know who the birth father is, what do we need to do with regards to his parental rights?
She has to make every attempt to find the bio-father in order to terminate his parental rights. This may mean that paternity has to be established first.

Your best bet is to contact an attorney. This is not an easy process and to take care of it yourselves without knowing TX law on the subject is almost impossible.

LdiJ

Please consult an adoption attorney. I am not sure that its accurate that you have to attempt to find the biological father....in your particular scenario.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">