• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cops Destroyed Evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eddie's Mom

My son goes to trial tomorrow in Massachusetts on an old drug charge, and his Public Defender found out today the the drugs in question, the evidence, have been destroyed. Is this good news for my son, who allegedly sold a gram of coc to an undercover female officer in the bathroom of a nightclub!
Is there any precedent for dismissal?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

Q: Is this good news for my son, who allegedly sold a gram of coc to an undercover female officer in the bathroom of a nightclub!
A: No, they have all the lab reports showing what it was.

I agree with SeniorJudge on the issue of the lab reports, but here is a tricky little "talking point".

The defense has the right to examine and test the evidence to be used against the defendant. (Oddly enough, in the technical sense, this evidence is known as the corpus delicti.)

What evidence? Where is the evidence to examine and test?

The "State" has a duty to safekeep, track, log, and verify the path and whereabouts of any and all evidence in its possession and control.

(In theory, it could be argued that a prosecutor's 14-year old child could have created a lab report.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">