• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband had his ALJ hearing today, how long before we know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smiles2090

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband had his ALj Hearing today, how long before we have an answer & how long before his check if he is approved?

S

seniorjudge

Smiles2090 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband had his ALj Hearing today, how long before we have an answer & how long before his check if he is approved?
It could be months. Then, once you get the first check, you will probably receive another letter stating that they didn't figure it right and it has to be adjusted so they will take some out of the next check or two.

That is, if you win.

Smiles2090

Why does it take so long?

Is texas a more difficult state to get the Disability that my husband desperately needs? How are people suppose to survive when they cannot work? I don't understand.

Kaos

Alj

Had my appael heard by ALJ on Jan 21,05 got approved for SSDI Jan 28,05 will get first check March 16,05 Good luck

bjl1105

Once the ALJ sends his decision to the local SSA office, they have 60 days to get you paid.

Call them and see if they have a decision. they want to close the case as much as you do!

3 musketeers

Hello! just to let u know each state is different and each judge and decision writer works at a different pace. mine took 5 MONTHS! It drove me crazy. So it would be hard to give a specific time frame. I knew someone who got disability in the 80's and she got told before she left the hearing, I wish they still did that!!!!!!!!! Good Luck since we are in the same state.

bjl1105

ALJ decisions can be made in a different state from the one you live in. For example, if you elect not to appear at a hearing, your case could have been sent to an ALJ in another state that is not as backlogged in cases. If you appear, they need to hear it at a court nearest to you, so it would be held in your home state. Some judges do tell you at the time of the hearing if it is favorable, but not all of them do so. Call the local office or the 800 # and ask if the decision is posted to your record yet.

Brighid

just a bit to help you, here was my situation.

Applied october 2003. Had hearing finally in jan 20th 2005, got fully favorable letter on feb 8th 2005, had my financial review (to see how much I was getting) on March 17th. I still have yet to see a check, because my case worker forgot to send it through. She says 3 more days around the 29th.

Not to mention, I lost about 4,000 dollars in backpay somehow, as each time I call my backpay amount gets lower and lower for some reason. Go fig.

Brighid

Oh yes, do you have a lawyer? Because I actually did know my decision before I left. The medical examiner basically said I was unable to work, and even reccomended programs for me. My lawyer told me I was approved. Of course I didnt believe him until I got the letter.

Also, remember it also has to go through quality assurance, which can take a bit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">