• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unexecused absence from army reserve

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brdrok

What is the name of your state? VA but Reserve unit is in Tennessee.

Hello,

I have received a letter from the Army Reserve that I have unexcused absences. The letter also states that if I miss 9 in a given year that they will process me for seperation from the Selected Reserve either by reassignment or discharge. I really have no intentions of attending if I can get away with no jail time.

A little more background info. I was with a unit in MD, that unit got shipped out but I didn't have the necessary qualifications. Instead they decided to put me with that unit in TN (early '03). At that point, I had a slight mental breakdown and was put into the psych ward in Walter Reed. After I was released, I remember I had an e-mail that the unit in MD was going to try to give me a medical discharge. I informed the Unit Admin or commander of this. and I never really followed up on this (stupid I know). The paper I got from Walter Reed is that rehabilitation is possible.

In the meantime, I received LES statements but obviously I ddin't get paid. Then in later December, early January, I received a letter from TN that I needed to attend for the weekly training. Is there a good chance for a OTH if I do not attend or will I look at jail time?

thanks

badapple40

They can't give you jail time without calling you to active duty and you missing that (e.g. activation orders). They can give you a negative discharge. How much time do you have left in the reserves?

brdrok

Q:They can give you a negative discharge. How much time do you have left in the reserves?

A:As stupid as it sounds, I really do not know. According to my ID, it is March '05. However, with the stop-loss going, this could have changed. Also, my LES states a much different date as well.

Q:They can't give you jail time without calling you to active duty and you missing that (e.g. activation orders).

A: I have the feeling that the unit in TN did go to overseas. I suppose that means that I, in fact, did miss my Activation Order?!?

I suppose I could live with a dishonorable discharge for I have no intentions of working for the gov't, becoming a teacher, or working for a gov't subcontractor. Seems to me that companies looking for half-way decent software/database programmers do not care about the type of discharge. But I could be wrong.

Many thanks for the info...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">