• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I cant leave my wife and son now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Worried in IL

What is the name of your state? IL

Hi, I came here on an I-94 tourist visa to meet a girl I met on the net 3 years prior, I arrived here and was planning to stay for 3 months and then leave but on the 2 month we decided to get married as we fell in love and she had a 10 month old baby boy whom I also fell in love with.
I have stayed here a year past my I-94 visa I am happily married and love my new son dearly. I know I should have done all this a long time ago but bills needed payed like huge hospital bills. I have not worked in the US since I have been here as I dont want any bad marks against me when I try to get myself leagalised I have stayed home and looked after my son for over a year now while my wife works, she is a US citizen. I am a British citizen and wish to remain a British citizen but want to live and be able to find employment here in the US to support my family. am I able to do this? will I have to become a US citizen too? Will I be deported? Please help as I cant think about anything else.

ImmigAttyLana

As long as you can prove that you initially entered legally to the US, you are able to adjust status to permanent residence on the basis of your marriage to a US citizen. While that petition is pending you will also be eligible for employment authorization in the US. You cannot travel internationally until after you get your green card, however. As for retaining British citizenship, you will be able to do this at this stage anyway, since becoming a US permanent resident does not mean you are US citizen and you do not have to choose between the two countries' citizenship. Once you are eligible to apply for citizenship in the US, you can check whether the UK allows you to retain its citizenship upon becoming a US citizen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

evcalyptos

Worried in IL said:
What is the name of your state? IL

Hi, I came here on an I-94 tourist visa to meet a girl I met on the net 3 years prior, I arrived here and was planning to stay for 3 months and then leave but on the 2 month we decided to get married as we fell in love and she had a 10 month old baby boy whom I also fell in love with.
I have stayed here a year past my I-94 visa I am happily married and love my new son dearly. I know I should have done all this a long time ago but bills needed payed like huge hospital bills. I have not worked in the US since I have been here as I dont want any bad marks against me when I try to get myself leagalised I have stayed home and looked after my son for over a year now while my wife works, she is a US citizen. I am a British citizen and wish to remain a British citizen but want to live and be able to find employment here in the US to support my family. am I able to do this? will I have to become a US citizen too? Will I be deported? Please help as I cant think about anything else.
Wow, 3 in a row!
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm

File your papers and stop worrying. You do not have to become a US citizen or give up being a British citizen (although you can do the first without the last).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">