• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with 1-485 and 1-765

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SAAG

I-765 and Health Insurance

What is the name of your state? New York

I am in the US on K-1. I had my greencard interview yesterday (after 3 months from the date of my I-485 and I-765 application). The interview went really well. However,I was told that my I-485 is pending because the security clearance has not come through. The officer also told me that he is approving my EAD and sending it back to the Lee's Summit, MO.

The problem is that since my medical is through my husband's union, they need my SSN to keep me on their rolls. Without a SSN, they will boot me off. I can't get a SSN without an EAD. The processing in Missouri can take a long time.

My questions are

1. Should I apply for my interim EAD?
2. Am I eligible to apply?
3. Is it normal for the 1-485 to be pending after you get your interview after
3 months since you applied for the change of status?

Please reply asap. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

You are eligible for an interim EAD if it has been at least 90 days since you filed that application.

You should apply for the interim if you need the SSN

Yes, it is very common to have the AOS not approved at the interview due to the security clearance checks which have been mandated in the aftermath of 9/11

evcalyptos

SAAG said:
The problem is that since my medical is through my husband's union, they need my SSN to keep me on their rolls. Without a SSN, they will boot me off. I can't get a SSN without an EAD. The processing in Missouri can take a long time.
Have your husband contact a manager at the insurance company and ask about an alternate identifying number that they can use in place of the Social Security number (for example, you may already have an ITIN for filing taxes, or they can use a randomly generated number).
The Social Security number is often mis-used as an identifier; you can certainly ask them persuasively to use another set of digits in its place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">