• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overstay/married 3yrs/happy but worried.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brit51

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

Dear Lana,
I overstayed my tourist visa in 2000, staying with my girlfriend whom I married in May 2002. We just didn't want to be apart. We have a happy marriage and I have become part of a wonderful family here. We always wanted to go to immigration yet because of our fears and Sept 11th we kept putting it off. My wife is worried I may be asked to leave the U.S.
due to being an overstay, but I feel we need to go and try to legalise my status. Yet, I too am concerned, as the procedures and paperwork seem daunting. I am a British citizen although my passport has now expired.
I suppose I'm asking for your advice, we don't want to be seperated, so does our particular case look good or bad from an Immigration standpoint.
Further, what are the forms we need to fill out and in what order.
I'm glad I found this site, it's an education with great answers.
Thankyou Lana , in anticipation.

evcalyptos

Brit51 said:
What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

Dear Lana,
I overstayed my tourist visa in 2000, staying with my girlfriend whom I married in May 2002. We just didn't want to be apart. We have a happy marriage and I have become part of a wonderful family here. We always wanted to go to immigration yet because of our fears and Sept 11th we kept putting it off. My wife is worried I may be asked to leave the U.S.
due to being an overstay, but I feel we need to go and try to legalise my status. Yet, I too am concerned, as the procedures and paperwork seem daunting. I am a British citizen although my passport has now expired.
I suppose I'm asking for your advice, we don't want to be seperated, so does our particular case look good or bad from an Immigration standpoint.
Further, what are the forms we need to fill out and in what order.
I'm glad I found this site, it's an education with great answers.
Thankyou Lana , in anticipation.
Illegal presence (overstay) and employment are forgiven for spouses of USCs. Forms and intruction here:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm

Why you've stayed suffering these past years will be a mystery. Once the forms are filed you are not at risk of immediate removal (deportation).

Brit51

Thankyou/re-- overstay

Thankyou for answering my message, you have helped us to start realising that we need to go and start the process. Your'e right we should have sorted this out by now but life , illness and financial circumstances got in the way. Again , many thanks for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">