• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Stop, pot found

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Barbara Eller

What is the name of your state?Oregon
My husband and myself were on our way home from bowling and pizza. About 5 miles or so from home a Oregon State trooper started to follow us, I have a radar detector in my car and after about a mile of following us he used his radar(we were not ever speeding), after about 4 or so miles more of following us, once inside the Lebanon, Oregon city limits, he pulled us over. The officer came up to the care and ask if my husband was so-and-so(this person is my cousin and has the same last name as my maiden name and my car is still registered to me under my maiden name), my husband said "no" I told the officer that so-and-so was my cousin and he said that when they ran my plate number that my car came up registered to my cousin(sp-and-so). They wanted to see my husbands ID and mine. They wanted to see my car registration. When I went to get is they seen a little pot in a baggy and asked for it, we gave it up and a pipe also.
I have checked with DMV and my car was never registered to my cousin, the officer must have lied, they did not have any other reason to stop us. We did nothing wrong to get pulled over in the first place. My husband got cited for possession of less than an ounce of pot, Did they have a right to pull us over?

LawGirl10

Maybe, maybe not. You need to ask him specifically why he pulled you over.
Based on what you have said, I can't tell. He could have had a reason he did not tell you about so that is why you need to contact him and ask him for a reason. That will determine whether the stop was valid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">