• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizen marrying someone who overstayed their visa in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsalazar98

What is the name of your state? California.

I have a girlfriend who has over stayed her Visa. She came right before 911.
She of course has over stayed her Visa. She is from the Philipines.

She currently works as a caregiver, she is livin during the week and goes home to her family on the weekends.

What are the dangers to me who I am a citizen in marrying someone like this?
Can I go to jail and or pay a fine for marrying someone with this status?

She says there someone kind of law, that she needs to marry before June 2005, or she could be sent home. Is this true?

How is she able to work for a company as a caregiver but has no residency?

Please help, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

I am NOT an attorney

Normally the US Goverment is tolerant of overstayers is they are not criminals of any kind.

On a case-by-case basis, (most all cases) they can also be tolerant against illegals working without authorization.

You are not in any danger if you are marrying for love and will have a common life. You have a chance to be in danger if you are marrying to help her, or if you know she wants only to marry you to stay, then it would be what they call a "sham marriage".

The chances of you going to jail/be fined are really slim.

I have never heard of the law you mentioned but you might look at the Government sites just in case. And nowadays it all depends on one's country of origin.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

http://www.travel.state.gov/

One can get a job if the company does not ask for documentation.

best of luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">