• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassing Neighbors - Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheeta_cheeta

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I am an owner of a condo in which I have lived for the past 17 years. Our building layout is comprised of 4 units, 2 BR/2 BA one level per unit. I live in an upstairs unit. I am the original owner of the unit. Since the time I've moved in, my downstairs neighbors have continually harassed me. The one thing I can count on is a letter from the association every couple of months as to the "noise" coming from my unit. I constantly have to defend myself as to living a normal life. I walk on eggshells for fear of another letter from the association. These people have made false claims. In one instance they stated I was building cabinets in my home for resale. They have had the police come to my home with complaints. God forbid if I were to ever have a party or gathering at my own home. My adjacent neighbor is dumbfounded each time I tell her I've received yet another complaint. I have compromised to not run the washer/dryer or dishwasher after 10:00 PM, which in many cases puts me out since I often work an evening shift and need use of these at times after 10:00 PM. The latest encounter happened ~ 2 1/2 weeks ago, in which I came home (with my 10 yr old) to the police. This was 7:30 PM on a Saturday night. Apparently my roommate decided to listen to some music, unload/load the dishwasher and vacuum the kitchen. The association seems to be no help with this issue as they continue to take their complaints and send me letters. I assure you I try to be as quiet as possible because I can't stand receiving these letters. They never come up to say anything; they just bang on the ceiling and send a formal complaint to the association. All of this has caused a tremendous amount of stress on both my roommate and myself. What rights do I have to live a normal life? Do I have to continually put up with their perpetuated harassment? Where are my rights? After all I am a homeowner. Should I have to tip-toe around my own home? I know I would never be able to rent out my unit if I where to buy a home. To me that limits any possible financial advancements for this property to me. HELP! What can be done?

HomeGuru

cheeta_cheeta said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I am an owner of a condo in which I have lived for the past 17 years. Our building layout is comprised of 4 units, 2 BR/2 BA one level per unit. I live in an upstairs unit. I am the original owner of the unit. Since the time I've moved in, my downstairs neighbors have continually harassed me. The one thing I can count on is a letter from the association every couple of months as to the "noise" coming from my unit. I constantly have to defend myself as to living a normal life. I walk on eggshells for fear of another letter from the association. These people have made false claims. In one instance they stated I was building cabinets in my home for resale. They have had the police come to my home with complaints. God forbid if I were to ever have a party or gathering at my own home. My adjacent neighbor is dumbfounded each time I tell her I've received yet another complaint. I have compromised to not run the washer/dryer or dishwasher after 10:00 PM, which in many cases puts me out since I often work an evening shift and need use of these at times after 10:00 PM. The latest encounter happened ~ 2 1/2 weeks ago, in which I came home (with my 10 yr old) to the police. This was 7:30 PM on a Saturday night. Apparently my roommate decided to listen to some music, unload/load the dishwasher and vacuum the kitchen. The association seems to be no help with this issue as they continue to take their complaints and send me letters. I assure you I try to be as quiet as possible because I can't stand receiving these letters. They never come up to say anything; they just bang on the ceiling and send a formal complaint to the association. All of this has caused a tremendous amount of stress on both my roommate and myself. What rights do I have to live a normal life? Do I have to continually put up with their perpetuated harassment? Where are my rights? After all I am a homeowner. Should I have to tip-toe around my own home? I know I would never be able to rent out my unit if I where to buy a home. To me that limits any possible financial advancements for this property to me. HELP! What can be done?
**A: it appears that your roommate is the problem. Get a new one or none at all.
And you have only told us one side of the story and not even the complete side at that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">