• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defected candy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scoleman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband purchased candy from a very popular grocery store for Valentine's Day. I ingested a good prtion only to find there were maggots. I went back to the store and completed an incident report, showed them the candy, (the did witness the maggots as well), took pictures, and went to the ER where the gave me shots and medication. Do I have a case?

HomeGuru

scoleman said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband purchased candy from a very popular grocery store for Valentine's Day. I ingested a good prtion only to find there were maggots. I went back to the store and completed an incident report, showed them the candy, (the did witness the maggots as well), took pictures, and went to the ER where the gave me shots and medication. Do I have a case?

**A: well, it depends on if the shots killed the maggots. If not, you may have the case of the runs.

scoleman

Defected candy bar

HomeGuru said:
**A: well, it depends on if the shots killed the maggots. If not, you may have the case of the runs.
I suffered with nausea, severe stomach aches, and emotional distress. I was given pain medication to ease the stomach aches...I am still sick and took a total of 2 days off work so far..

S

seniorjudge

Q: Do I have a case?
A: In order for us to answer that, you would have to tell us how maggots could've gotten into the candy.

scoleman

How the maggots got in

seniorjudge said:
Q: Do I have a case?
A: In order for us to answer that, you would have to tell us how maggots could've gotten into the candy.
I have no clue---but I do know that they got into me.....We, as consumers, should have the comfort of knowing the products we buy from stores are safe because it is their duty to have good, up to date products at their stores...That is what we pay for.

rmet4nzkx

You can check with the usda but a certain amount of other forms of protein are edible, you have no damages. I actually survived ingesting 1/2 worm in a grape with no ill effect and chocolate covered insects are very expensive.

http://www.new-agri.co.uk/99-3/focuson/focuson4.html

Edible insects - a culinary curiosity?

Edible insects may not be considered a delicacy in the West but for many cultures, they are an important source of protein. They can be consumed in their larval stage (e.g. grubs and caterpillars, including silkworms) or in their adult form (e.g. grasshoppers and ants). In Thailand, over 50 species of insects may be consumed throughout the year, and in Ecuador 83 different species have been recorded as an important complement to other sources of animal protein. In parts of Asia, the sago grub (Rhynchophorus ferrungineus) is considered an important food and in the western lowlands of Irian Jaya, the grub has become part of a complex cultural system. The adult beetle only oviposits on damaged or felled sago palm so villagers manage the sago palms in order to increase the number of eggs laid and to provide a consistent amount of larvae that can be collected six weeks later. In Japan, insects are sold as canned foods and in China, many insects are consumed for medicinal purposes. Overall, around 2000 edible insect species have been recorded around the world.

Insects are efficient recyclers of organic matter and they can provide a reliable and sustainable source of food for humans and/or animals, provided appropriate breeding methods are developed. Raising insects is relatively easy: they require minimal space and have a better conversion (feed to meat) ratio than any other meat. Most species are also lower in fat and higher in protein (7-21 grams of protein per 100 grams of edible insect) than larger livestock meat (beef, pork and chicken). They are also an important source of vitamins (in particular, riboflavin and thiamine) and minerals (mostly zinc, copper and iron). Traditional consumption involves eating the insects raw, boiled or roasted. However, for those not used to adding insects to their daily menu, they can be powdered and used as flour.

Mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) are well suited to 'insect farming'. These beetles are small, reproduce quickly and are resistant to disease and parasites. In addition, they are simple to handle and require little space (small plastic containers) and maintenance. The mealworms can be fed on oats or other types of grain and moisture is provided by pieces of vegetable or fruit. There are four stages to the life cycle (egg, larva, pupa and adult) which takes about one year to complete. Larvae can be harvested from the first generation and used as required because insects, like meat, deteriorate quickly. They can be killed by freezing or boiling. Crickets are also quite easy to raise and prepare but they require a large well-sealed container, as these insects are liable to escape. Like mealworms, they can be fed on grain and vegetable scraps and can be harvested within a few months.

Insect larvae can also be raised to feed to animals. Termite larvae are traditionally harvested from existing termatariums and fed to poultry as a protein supplement. However, experiments in Togo and Burkina Faso to provide a source of food (straw/leaves) for termites and site (cattle dung/soil) for a new colony have proved successful. In addition, maggots from Musca domestica and Sarcophaga sp. flies raised on animal droppings in West Africa have been fed to chickens. Chironomid larvae are also raised on chicken manure, harvested, cleaned and sold as feed to fish culture farms in Hong Kong. However, although these larvae can provide a valuable and cheap protein feed for fish and poultry, these insects can be a significant source of micro-organisms and the risks of disease transmission to domestic animals and humans should be considered.

Back to Menu

scoleman

Edible insects

rmet4nzkx said:
You can check with the usda but a certain amount of other forms of protein are edible, you have no damages. I actually survived ingesting 1/2 worm in a grape with no ill effect and chocolate covered insects are very expensive.

http://www.new-agri.co.uk/99-3/focuson/focuson4.html

Edible insects - a culinary curiosity?

Edible insects may not be considered a delicacy in the West but for many cultures, they are an important source of protein. They can be consumed in their larval stage (e.g. grubs and caterpillars, including silkworms) or in their adult form (e.g. grasshoppers and ants). In Thailand, over 50 species of insects may be consumed throughout the year, and in Ecuador 83 different species have been recorded as an important complement to other sources of animal protein. In parts of Asia, the sago grub (Rhynchophorus ferrungineus) is considered an important food and in the western lowlands of Irian Jaya, the grub has become part of a complex cultural system. The adult beetle only oviposits on damaged or felled sago palm so villagers manage the sago palms in order to increase the number of eggs laid and to provide a consistent amount of larvae that can be collected six weeks later. In Japan, insects are sold as canned foods and in China, many insects are consumed for medicinal purposes. Overall, around 2000 edible insect species have been recorded around the world.

Insects are efficient recyclers of organic matter and they can provide a reliable and sustainable source of food for humans and/or animals, provided appropriate breeding methods are developed. Raising insects is relatively easy: they require minimal space and have a better conversion (feed to meat) ratio than any other meat. Most species are also lower in fat and higher in protein (7-21 grams of protein per 100 grams of edible insect) than larger livestock meat (beef, pork and chicken). They are also an important source of vitamins (in particular, riboflavin and thiamine) and minerals (mostly zinc, copper and iron). Traditional consumption involves eating the insects raw, boiled or roasted. However, for those not used to adding insects to their daily menu, they can be powdered and used as flour.

Mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) are well suited to 'insect farming'. These beetles are small, reproduce quickly and are resistant to disease and parasites. In addition, they are simple to handle and require little space (small plastic containers) and maintenance. The mealworms can be fed on oats or other types of grain and moisture is provided by pieces of vegetable or fruit. There are four stages to the life cycle (egg, larva, pupa and adult) which takes about one year to complete. Larvae can be harvested from the first generation and used as required because insects, like meat, deteriorate quickly. They can be killed by freezing or boiling. Crickets are also quite easy to raise and prepare but they require a large well-sealed container, as these insects are liable to escape. Like mealworms, they can be fed on grain and vegetable scraps and can be harvested within a few months.

Insect larvae can also be raised to feed to animals. Termite larvae are traditionally harvested from existing termatariums and fed to poultry as a protein supplement. However, experiments in Togo and Burkina Faso to provide a source of food (straw/leaves) for termites and site (cattle dung/soil) for a new colony have proved successful. In addition, maggots from Musca domestica and Sarcophaga sp. flies raised on animal droppings in West Africa have been fed to chickens. Chironomid larvae are also raised on chicken manure, harvested, cleaned and sold as feed to fish culture farms in Hong Kong. However, although these larvae can provide a valuable and cheap protein feed for fish and poultry, these insects can be a significant source of micro-organisms and the risks of disease transmission to domestic animals and humans should be considered.

Back to Menu
I understand fully that some insects are edible and may be delicious indeed to those who willingly ingest them. However, I was no willing participant in eating those things. The mere thought of maggots makes me ill. That is where the emotional distress comes in-----I am sick to my stomach knowing I unwillingly digested maggots, and I think most people would be too.

Lynx 36

Grubs and maggots are completely edible. Just ask anyone in the military. I've also eaten worms, daddy longlegs, and a few other bugs. Daddy longlegs have a mint flavor. I would recommend them over a maggot. Dip them in chocolate and you have mint chocolate chip. :D

rmet4nzkx

You could have the same reaction to liver, squid mustard greens, chitlins, mountain oysters, sushi ....
Most stores or the company will offer some compensation such as a free box of candy, coupon or other product, but you won't be winning any large settlement or be compensated for your hospital costs or days off work. Maggots are edible and not harmful. If you had broken a tooth on a nut shell or fruit pit, then you would have damages.

You Are Guilty

scoleman said:
I ingested a good prtion only to find there were maggots.

I think the obvious question is, if you saw there were maggots in it, why did you continue to eat?

(And if you didn't notice the disgusting, slimy, creepy maggots in your candy prior to eating them, why not? Whose fault is it that you weren't paying attention?)

scoleman

You Are Guilty said:
I think the obvious question is, if you saw there were maggots in it, why did you continue to eat?

(And if you didn't notice the disgusting, slimy, creepy maggots in your candy prior to eating them, why not? Whose fault is it that you weren't paying attention?)

I didn't notice the maggots right away, as they were not the average sized maggots. They were very small in size. I should not be responsible for examining purchased products---it is up to the sellers and/or manufacturers to ensure consumers that the products they sell are good.... :(
The manufacturer and store chain failed its consumers in this case....

Lynx 36

scoleman said:
I didn't notice the maggots right away, as they were not the average sized maggots. They were very small in size. I should not be responsible for examining purchased products---it is up to the sellers and/or manufacturers to ensure consumers that the products they sell are good.... :(
The manufacturer and store chain failed its consumers in this case....
You asked if you had a case. No one on here seems to think you do. Go ahead and sue if you want to. After all anyone can sue anybody f/ anything, but it doesn't mean you will win. If the store offers to pay your ER bills I would take it and run. The other thing you can do as a consumer is not by products from the store, or the manufacturer of the candy again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">