• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent - legal status?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ambegowri

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Multistate situation.

I came to USA using my L2 Visa (dependent on L1). After sometime I applied for H1 and got it approved sometime last November (2004) but I never worked for that employer.I am not sure about my Legal Status right now whether I am on L2 or H1 as the I-94 expiry date on L2 is Oct 2005 and H1 has Dec 2007. Could you please help me with this.

Thanks
Ambe

ImmigAttyLana

If the H-1B has been approved with a new I-94 card, then you are in H-1B status and also in violation of that status if you are not working for that employer. Therefore, you are out of status and are not going to be eligible for a change of status to another nonimmigrant status from within the US. If you are continuing to work for the employer pursuant to your L-2 EAD, you are also doing so without authorization since you are no longer in L-2 status and your EAD is no longer a valid employment authorization document.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

ambegowri

Can I transfer H1

Thanks Lana,

1) With respect to previous query, can I legally transfer my H1 to another company ? Or there is nothing I can do except leaving the country ?

2). Somebody also told me as I never worked using H1 so H1 was not active and even if it was active then since I never worked so automatically it got cancelled and I am automatically back to L2 as it is not exipred yet.

Please help !!

Thanks
Ambe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">