• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandfather causing hassel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeharmon

What is the name of your state?Florida... My husband and our family moved to Florida in June 2004. We have hs daughter whose mother passed away a couple of years ago. My husband was still married to the mother when she passed but had been seperated for several years. As soon as she passed the grandfather took us to court for visitations. There had not been a problem with him visiting her except that we asked that he not call at 10 at night and expect to see her the next morning at 7.... which the judge agreed.. we never stopped him from calling(which was seldom) or seeing her (which was maybe one aftrernoon every six weeks) he only lived 20 minutes from us. At the time of all of this we all lived in Virginia.. But my husband, the mother and grandfather all meet each other here in florida. My husband and the mother were raised here. The grandfather had a vet pratice here for many many years and as far as we knew he was still making alot of trips back in forth from their to here. We sent him a letter two weeks after we moved with our new # and address. We did not here from him until the first of jan. 2005, we were out of town when he called.. We didnt think nothing of him not contacting us because he is not close to his grand=daughter, "out of sight out of mind" but the day after he called he went to the courts in Va. had a "Motion to Amend or Review Order" now we have to go to court on Va. in March. he stated "Visitation has not been allowed for 6 months; have moved away and have been uable to locate or contact.. Do we have to keep going to court in va. over this thing or can we have it changed some way to Florida???? Thanks Melissa

LdiJ

mikeharmon said:
What is the name of your state?Florida... My husband and our family moved to Florida in June 2004. We have hs daughter whose mother passed away a couple of years ago. My husband was still married to the mother when she passed but had been seperated for several years. As soon as she passed the grandfather took us to court for visitations. There had not been a problem with him visiting her except that we asked that he not call at 10 at night and expect to see her the next morning at 7.... which the judge agreed.. we never stopped him from calling(which was seldom) or seeing her (which was maybe one aftrernoon every six weeks) he only lived 20 minutes from us. At the time of all of this we all lived in Virginia.. But my husband, the mother and grandfather all meet each other here in florida. My husband and the mother were raised here. The grandfather had a vet pratice here for many many years and as far as we knew he was still making alot of trips back in forth from their to here. We sent him a letter two weeks after we moved with our new # and address. We did not here from him until the first of jan. 2005, we were out of town when he called.. We didnt think nothing of him not contacting us because he is not close to his grand=daughter, "out of sight out of mind" but the day after he called he went to the courts in Va. had a "Motion to Amend or Review Order" now we have to go to court on Va. in March. he stated "Visitation has not been allowed for 6 months; have moved away and have been uable to locate or contact.. Do we have to keep going to court in va. over this thing or can we have it changed some way to Florida???? Thanks Melissa
Did VA actually MAKE any visitation orders? If so, what do those orders state? You have lived in FL long enough that you can contest VA having any kind of continuing jurisdiction over the case even if there ARE orders. The FL supreme court has unequivocably found grandparent visitation rights to be unconstitutional, not only under FL statutes but in recognizing/enforcing orders from other states as well. Get yourself a consult with a FL attorney who is familiar with the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">