• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage marriage to foreigner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mefree2

What is the name of your state?tx I'm 23 my fiance will be 17 in july. I live in Texas she is in the Dominican republic. I am a us citizen she is not. I want to marry her. In Texas you can only marry an underage girl with her parents permission.I will be going to see her later this year ,so can I take the papers her parents would be signing with me over there and have them signed by her parents and notorized in a us embassy and then bring them back here and have them upheld in Texas? Or would I have to get married there in the Dominican Republic? Would Texas uphold and recognize a foreign marriage licence? please help me out if you can?

evcalyptos

mefree2 said:
What is the name of your state?tx I'm 23 my fiance will be 17 in july. I live in Texas she is in the Dominican republic. I am a us citizen she is not. I want to marry her. In Texas you can only marry an underage girl with her parents permission.I will be going to see her later this year ,so can I take the papers her parents would be signing with me over there and have them signed by her parents and notorized in a us embassy and then bring them back here and have them upheld in Texas? Or would I have to get married there in the Dominican Republic? Would Texas uphold and recognize a foreign marriage licence? please help me out if you can?
I'll presume that since you are posting in Immigration, you've thought about where you will live in the future and how to make that happen?

By the time she's got a visa to come to the US to marry you, she will probably be 18+ anyway.
If you legally marry in the DR, your marriage will be recognized in the US, even by Texas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">