• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non us citizen giving birth in us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahleigh

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OREGON

My friend is staying with me for a while. She has a visa and passport. She is pregnant. Can she get medical care here and have her child here or does she have to go back to Mexico to have him? Anybody have any clue how to go about this?? Thanks!
sarah

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sarahleigh said:

My friend is staying with me for a while. She has a visa and passport. She is pregnant. Can she get medical care here and have her child here or does she have to go back to Mexico to have him? Anybody have any clue how to go about this?? Thanks!
sarah

My response:

Oh, wonderful. Another drain on taxpayer money. How lovely. Your friend will get the emergency medical care when she's ready to give birth, but then she'll be released into the custody of the Immigration Service, and deported.

Good!

IAAL

sarahleigh

whatever

Ok , she is ready and willing to pay for her medical expenses so taxpayer money is not an issue. She's not trying to mooch off the system. Calm down. But thanks for you're kind of help.

evcalyptos

sarahleigh said:

sarah
Sarah, when your friend entered the US, she was given a period of allowed stay. This exit date is stamped in her passport. If she does not leave the US by that date, she is in 'overstay' with illegal presense and is deportable if picked up.
If she is here on a B1/B2 visa (check her passport), she may apply to have her stay extended (one extension allowed). That will probably be denied, but she is legal until she gets the decision back, at which time she must leave.

It might be a good idea to seek some in-person legal counsel (through a lawyer consulatation or a free legal aid clinic) to map out her options if she is determined to stay and birth here. You say she will cover her expenses for the birth... do you both have an accurate idea of how much that will be? Also, a USC child will not be able to help her immigration situation until the child is 21 years old.

sarahleigh

thanks

thank you so much. We don't know the exact cost. That's something we have to look into. She isn't doing it for the citizenship.....she just feels that medical care is better here so she would like to be here. We just didn't know if it was possible or what. Thanks so much!

evcalyptos

sarahleigh said:
thank you so much. We don't know the exact cost. That's something we have to look into. She isn't doing it for the citizenship.....she just feels that medical care is better here so she would like to be here. We just didn't know if it was possible or what. Thanks so much!
Does she feel that the medical care is $10,000-$30,000 better AND she can afford to think so? Just took a quick look at another group where they discuss such things and find that is the un-insured rate for a birth in the US.
Of course, if she overstays, she may find that she is not allowed to return to the US in the future. There are a lot of issues to consider, please don't make a hasty decision :)

AHA

The only common reason why foreigners come here as tourists to give birth is because they think it will give them a Green Card immediately. If someone has tens of thousands of dollars to spend on the delivery, they can get good help in their own country, after all, there are some people that are rich in most civilised countries and if they can get good medical help for their deliveries surely this lady can too.

just_plain_dum

Do you live close to a large medical center or university medical center. Check with them and see if they have a pre-pay OB package. Many other hospitals do this as well. The packages are designed for people who are non-insured. Usually citizenship is not an issue. These are not subsidized by the government. You pay the package rate up-front and all subsequent clinic visits and a normal vag delivery with a 2 day stay is included for mom and baby.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">