• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legionnaire's Disease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wvetter

What is the name of your state? New York

My mother, 83 years old, had a mild stroke, was discharged from the hospital to a local nursing home, then contracted Legionnaire's Disease there after 30 days, went back to the hospital to die there several days later. I talked to a lawyer over the phone from a firm recommended by my boss. He said that in such a situation there is a lot of latitude to argue and assign liability, but
1) For a wrongful death lawsuit, the settlement is calculated according to the future loss of income of the victim, and
2) for a personal injury lawsuit, the settlement is calculated according to the quality of life of the victim; therefore,
neither of these lawsuits are worth bothering with for an 83 year old in a nursing home.
Do you agree with this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">