• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should biological parents pay child support after child is adopted by someone else?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bria5

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
California

Should biological parents pay child support if the child is adopted by someone else?

Bria5

nextwife

Well, I'm an adoptive parent and I sure don't get how the legal parent of a child expects a legal stranger to pay them CS. Being an adoptive parent is a privilage, and I know I sure as heck don't expect anyone but myself and my hubby to be financially responsible for OUR child. She is OURS - nobody elses.

Arrearages prior to adoption is a different can of worms.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Bria5 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
California

Should biological parents pay child support if the child is adopted by someone else?

Bria5

My response:

Only if the biological parent(s) want to retain "visitation" privileges. Then, make an agreement, that becomes part of the court order, that the biological parents) must pay double the guideline support.

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

Q: Should biological parents pay child support if the child is adopted by someone else?

A: Should? No, but IAAL gave you the exact scoop.

ky mom

Bria5 said:
California

Bria5
well i am a parent of a seven year old boy that allow his grandparents to adopt....i honestly wish that they would have asked for me to pay child support....at least i would not be in the situation that i am in now...i had my son up until he was almost three....and i decided to let them adopt him so that he would have medical insurance and some other things that i could not provide at the time....with the agreement that i would not be cut out of my son's life and that he would always know me to be his mom too....now that the grandfather has passed away and the grandmother is very ill....she is trying to cut me out of his life....not going to happen....but if i would have been court ordered to pay child support on him....i would at least have some type of leagal leg to stand on....

Bria5

Bria5 said:
California

Bria5
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will take it into consideration.

Bria5

S

seniorjudge

Bria5 said:
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will take it into consideration.

Bria5
You are welcome.

BTW: with the agreement that i would not be cut out of my son's life and that he would always know me to be his mom too

You forgot to mention this exceptionally significant fact.

Please post EXACTLY what the judgment from the court says about this agreement. And, also, post EXACTLY what the agreement says in writing.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
seniorjudge said:
You are welcome.

BTW: with the agreement that i would not be cut out of my son's life and that he would always know me to be his mom too

Please post EXACTLY what the judgment from the court says about this agreement. And, also, post EXACTLY what the agreement says in writing.
SJ - different poster.

ky mom

seniorjudge said:
You are welcome.

sorry that i forgot to mention that....i didn't think that it would have any bearings on what i am trying to do....but yes, in the court room while i was under oath i was asked if i still wanted to be a part of my son's life....and the adoptive parents also made the statement under oath that they had no intentions cutting me out of his life because i was his birthmother....but now that the grandfather-father has passed away everything has changed....can i pull these court documents and use them to help my standing....or are they sealed unable to re-opened? does that statement change things for me? would it benefit me to post my case to an attorney in this forum?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">