• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Town ordinance violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ubonline

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CT

Hi, a neighbor is parking a commercial vehicle in a residential zone. We have asked him nicely several times to move it, but he refuses. We recently contacted the town police, who ruled against us.

The law clearly states: “If it is a commercial vehicle and/or truck, and except for the purpose of delivery, service and/or service calls, in a residential zone.”

There is no debate the truck is commercial (a telephone truck with boom). However, the police state the law was intended for “large tractor trailer trucks” not this type of vehicle, even though this vehicle fits the criteria specified in the definition section of the ordinance. And they state that the resident is “on call” to perform service, so it is ok to park it there, even though his company does not perform service in our town, and he is not actually performing service while he is parked at his house.

We are homeowners and taxpayers, and the houses are close to each other. But clearly, the police are sympathetic to the other person’s work situation (even though he can park the truck elsewhere, which he does sometimes, and this does not prohibit him from working), and not ours, even though we lose sleep due to the loud noise at all hours of the night.

How can we convince the police to enforce the letter of the law, not the spirit?

Should I contact the town attorney? Town manager? Police chief?

Thanks for any help.

HomeGuru

ubonline said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CT

Hi, a neighbor is parking a commercial vehicle in a residential zone. We have asked him nicely several times to move it, but he refuses. We recently contacted the town police, who ruled against us.

The law clearly states: “If it is a commercial vehicle and/or truck, and except for the purpose of delivery, service and/or service calls, in a residential zone.”

There is no debate the truck is commercial (a telephone truck with boom). However, the police state the law was intended for “large tractor trailer trucks” not this type of vehicle, even though this vehicle fits the criteria specified in the definition section of the ordinance. And they state that the resident is “on call” to perform service, so it is ok to park it there, even though his company does not perform service in our town, and he is not actually performing service while he is parked at his house.

We are homeowners and taxpayers, and the houses are close to each other. But clearly, the police are sympathetic to the other person’s work situation (even though he can park the truck elsewhere, which he does sometimes, and this does not prohibit him from working), and not ours, even though we lose sleep due to the loud noise at all hours of the night.

How can we convince the police to enforce the letter of the law, not the spirit?

Should I contact the town attorney? Town manager? Police chief?

Thanks for any help.
**A: don't you have anything better to gripe about?

ubonline

If you and your family were woken up every morning by a loud truck in a quiet residential neighborhood, and you knew how much it cost us to move into this town 2 years ago, you'd understand.

Now, do you have any meaningful answer for me?

ashlee_007

I have a big question to ask you ..
How does this truck parked thier damage you? You clearly arent amish and drive a car yourself . And you do work. So what do you have against this person parking a vehicle that is legal to drive on a street but can't be parked on your street? Why does this bother you that somebody who has a job parks a vehicle , nothing else ,just a parked vehicle. how does this clearly interurpt your daily life? You do have a life?

HomeGuru

ubonline said:
If you and your family were woken up every morning by a loud truck in a quiet residential neighborhood, and you knew how much it cost us to move into this town 2 years ago, you'd understand.

Now, do you have any meaningful answer for me?
**A: the town police already made a ruling. If you want to go over their heads, go right ahead. How much it cost for you to move into the town is not relevant in the least. And you are exaggerating as to being woken up every morning by loud truck. Read the noise ordinance.

ubonline

To Ashlee, when I wake up early every morning to a loud truck - that fits the town definition of illegal commercial truck - it make me lose sleep. Yes, I have a life, and it interrupts me illegally. You don't have to agre with me, but you don't need to be nasty. Guess you must be a truck driver who bothers your neighbors too!

To Home guru, how the heck do you know how the truck sounds in my neighborhood? And just because the police made a ruling, does not mean it is right, or I have to agree.

To all, this is my first time posting here, guess the name of the forum says it all, and I'm getting what I deserve (and paid for) for posting here with a bunch of knowledgeless people.

Later all!

jfernandez76

My dad had same issue

Contact the town. Anything with a commercial plate on it is a violation. The town has to enforce and hand out summons as neccessary.

pleadthefirst

sounds like you have a good case here. This sounds like a case of blue collar police force trying to stick up for your blue collar working neighbor. I think you might need a lawyer, but perhaps you could speak with your local judge or even an internal affairs board at the police dept.

IANAL

good luck with this obnoxious law-breaker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">