• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son Fell at School.......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lawnmowerguy

What is the name of your state?North Carolina

Last week my son fell on school property while getting off the school bus. He took 4 steps, tripped on his shoelace and broke 2 of his fingers. He had to have surgery and the bill will exceed $8,000. I talked to a lady in administration and she told me that since they weren't negligent, they won't cover it. I do have Major Medical Ins., but will still have to pay $3,600. Do I have any chance of getting the school to cover this???

Thanks!!

Last edited:

lawnmowerguy

Reason I ask is because what if.........A friend of my son tripped on his shoelace and got injured on MY property? My homeowners ins. would have to cover it. Seems like the same principle.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lawnmowerguy said:
Reason I ask is because what if.........A friend of my son tripped on his shoelace and got injured on MY property? My homeowners ins. would have to cover it. Seems like the same principle.

My response:

No, it's not. In both instances, the injured party must show that the potential tortfeasor was negligent, and that the negligence was the proximate cause of the injuries.

You haven't stated anything that would tend to demonstrate that the school district would be "NEGLIGENT".

People trip and fall all the time. But, it doesn't mean that someone else is at fault.

IAAL

lawnmowerguy

Mr. Jones, I never said my son wasn't at fault. I realize this. The reason why I started this thread was because my step-mom used to work as a secretary for a elementary school, and the school would cover all accidents, regardless who was at fault. Just exploring all my options.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lawnmowerguy said:
Mr. Jones, I never said my son wasn't at fault. I realize this. The reason why I started this thread was because my step-mom used to work as a secretary for a elementary school, and the school would cover all accidents, regardless who was at fault. Just exploring all my options.

My response:

Then why would you expect that the school would be "legally" required to pay IF your son was at fault?

A possible reason "the school would cover all accidents, regardless who was at fault" was because, and unbeknownst to you, was that the child, or children, had accident insurance - - something that you have obviously failed to buy for your child.

IAAL

lawnmowerguy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Then why would you expect that the school would be "legally" required to pay IF your son was at fault?

A possible reason "the school would cover all accidents, regardless who was at fault" was because, and unbeknownst to you, was that the child, or children, had accident insurance - - something that you have obviously failed to buy for your child.

IAAL
Why would I expect the school to pay???? Scroll up and read my last post. From reading this and other threads, seems as if there's alot of bad attitudes on here. Ya'll need to lighten up. You're off the clock, not charging your crazy fees. No need to be a smart a$$.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lawnmowerguy said:
Why would I expect the school to pay???? Scroll up and read my last post. From reading this and other threads, seems as if there's alot of bad attitudes on here. Ya'll need to lighten up. You're off the clock, not charging your crazy fees. No need to be smart azzes.

My response:

Obviously, you're only reading what you want to read, and to the exclusion of very important words. I didn't say, "Why would [you] expect the school to pay?" I said, "Then why would you expect that the school would be "legally" required to pay IF your son was at fault?"

Apparently, you don't understand the word "negligence", and you don't want to know.

But, in conclusion, you're the one who is out $3,600.00. My heart bleeds for you. PAY UP!!

IAAL

jity

lawnmowerguy said:
Why would I expect the school to pay???? Scroll up and read my last post. From reading this and other threads, seems as if there's alot of bad attitudes on here. Ya'll need to lighten up. You're off the clock, not charging your crazy fees. No need to be a smart a$$.

LOL it's free what more do you want. You received a valid answer on the second post; it is conforming to your question. Nothing changes because it was his fault, no negligence because of the school - now if the bus ran over him - that would be a different story. Check your other options though, some insurace might pay for it -

rmet4nzkx

Many schools offer insurance, that is what would have covered your son's injury, but you took a chance that it wouldn't be needed. Once his fingers are healed you might teach him to tie his shoe laces or get his shoes with velcro closures in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">