• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent adoption after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherofThree

What is the name of your state?--KENTUCKY
I have an 8 year old son whose biological father was not very active in his life. No Child Support and very little visiting. A while back he passed away due to an illness. My question is how can I proceed with my husband adopting my son now, so that he can have all legal rights as his father and my son can have all legal rights as his son. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MotherofThree said:
What is the name of your state?--KENTUCKY
I have an 8 year old son whose biological father was not very active in his life. No Child Support and very little visiting. A while back he passed away due to an illness. My question is how can I proceed with my husband adopting my son now, so that he can have all legal rights as his father and my son can have all legal rights as his son. Thank you.

My response:

Why would your husband want to do this? What rights does he need that he doesn't already have, or actually, wants to exercise? He already feeds, clothes and houses the child. So, what more does he think adoption will get him?

Actually, I'm thinking that you want to replace your "meal ticket" for child support in the event the two of you get divorced.

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

Q: My question is how can I proceed with my husband adopting my son now, so that he can have all legal rights as his father and my son can have all legal rights as his son.

A: Yes.

MotherofThree

Why would your husband want to do this? What rights does he need that he doesn't already have, or actually, wants to exercise? He already feeds, clothes and houses the child. So, what more does he think adoption will get him?

Actually, I'm thinking that you want to replace your "meal ticket" for child support in the event the two of you get divorced.

#1- I never received child support from his biological father so I dont need a 'meal ticket' as you put it. and especially since we will not get a divorce. We have been together since high school. I was under the impression that this is a place for advice not criticism. but from what I have read that all most of you know how to do. Is your life so bad that you have to criticize others to make yourself feel better. Thank you for nothing.

S

seniorjudge

MotherofThree said:

#1- I never received child support from his biological father so I dont need a 'meal ticket' as you put it. and especially since we will not get a divorce. We have been together since high school. I was under the impression that this is a place for advice not criticism. but from what I have read that all most of you know how to do. Is your life so bad that you have to criticize others to make yourself feel better. Thank you for nothing.
I answered your question correctly and did not criticize you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">