• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX drug charges/ illegal search case law help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diminishi

What is the name of your state? Texas

Here is the scenario:

In a small TX town known for methamphetamine problems I was somewhat of a public figure. Police and everyone knew who I was. Well at 11:00p.m. I was at a friend's house standing in his front yard about to get on my motorcycle and drive home when I see 2 city cop cars, 2 sherriff department cars, and 2 regular vehicle cars (later to be discovered as the narcotics task force). They all jump out and rush toward my friend who was also outside to serve him 2 traffic warrants. They ask for my ID and I say sure. They run and see there's no warrants and then ask me if I have any weapons. I replied that I had a boot knife on each boot and the officer says I'm gonna grab them and remove them for my safety. He grabs them and then tells me he's gonna pat me down to check for any other weapons. He begins to pat me down and then violently pats and starts to dig into my pockets and shine his flashlight into my pants pocket where he sees the top of a baggie in my coin pocket. He rips it out and throws me to the ground and arrests me for possession of a controlled substance. They then seized my bike (which I wasn't even on yet) and helmet.

A) Was it legal for them to even approach me?
B) Was the search legal?
C) What right did he have to seize my bike?
D) Anyone have any case law citings? My attorney has already been paid 18k and hasn't done a damn thing so i want to get the ball rolling. It's my understanding that a "Terry" search is a pat down of the extremeties ONLY looking for weapons and does not permit access to pockets. The officers report says, "While patting him down I felt a bulge I knew to be consistent with a clear plastic bag containing crystal methamphetamine" Doesn't that sound absolutely retarded?

To make matters worse, 2 weeks later they tell me to come in and arrest me again on a delivery charge 1 - 4 grams. My bonds were 100 and then 75k. I sat in jail for over 30 days with no bond too. I know the county is out to get me but if I can beat this charge outright and quickly the second charge will be easy to negotiate I think. Any help would be appreciated.

C.J.

HOOD County TX

O

OhBullship

diminishi said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Here is the scenario:

In a small TX town known for methamphetamine problems I was somewhat of a public figure. Police and everyone knew who I was. Well at 11:00p.m. I was at a friend's house standing in his front yard about to get on my motorcycle and drive home when I see 2 city cop cars, 2 sherriff department cars, and 2 regular vehicle cars (later to be discovered as the narcotics task force). They all jump out and rush toward my friend who was also outside to serve him 2 traffic warrants. They ask for my ID and I say sure. They run and see there's no warrants and then ask me if I have any weapons. I replied that I had a boot knife on each boot and the officer says I'm gonna grab them and remove them for my safety. He grabs them and then tells me he's gonna pat me down to check for any other weapons. He begins to pat me down and then violently pats and starts to dig into my pockets and shine his flashlight into my pants pocket where he sees the top of a baggie in my coin pocket. He rips it out and throws me to the ground and arrests me for possession of a controlled substance. They then seized my bike (which I wasn't even on yet) and helmet.

A) Was it legal for them to even approach me?
B) Was the search legal?
C) What right did he have to seize my bike?
D) Anyone have any case law citings? My attorney has already been paid 18k and hasn't done a damn thing so i want to get the ball rolling. It's my understanding that a "Terry" search is a pat down of the extremeties ONLY looking for weapons and does not permit access to pockets. The officers report says, "While patting him down I felt a bulge I knew to be consistent with a clear plastic bag containing crystal methamphetamine" Doesn't that sound absolutely retarded?

To make matters worse, 2 weeks later they tell me to come in and arrest me again on a delivery charge 1 - 4 grams. My bonds were 100 and then 75k. I sat in jail for over 30 days with no bond too. I know the county is out to get me but if I can beat this charge outright and quickly the second charge will be easy to negotiate I think. Any help would be appreciated.

C.J.

HOOD County TX
Plain touch. ;)

rmet4nzkx

OMG!
My poor ribs are hurting sooooooo much!
What are you expecting your attorney to do?
These things take time.
If you can't do the time, don't comit the crime.

CdwJava

The search certainly exceeds Terry as a pat down search for weapons. However, if they asked to search you and you gave your consent, it's good. You say you thought it was for weapons - they may say they asked for a search ... especially since they don't have to "ask" you for a search for weapons given minimal cause to pat-down for weapons.

And, yes, you CAN feel the baggie from the outside of the pocket. However, most the case law I have seen indicates that this is not generally acceptable as it COULD be a number of things. I don't know what the status of case law is in TX.

Chances are that if your attorney doesn't think this is a bad search (it would be relatively easy to beat out here), then you may be out of luck.

- Carl

shana56258

Sounds like a classic wrong place at the wrong time type of situation. Sorry about your bike being seized. That just makes the whole ordeal suck even more. I ride too, so I feel for ya. From past expirience my best advice is to get a CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER. Do whatever you have to do to round up the funds for one. That is your best chance for a fair outcome. Public defenders don't give a hoot about your case..you are just paperwork to them. Good Luck

S

seniorjudge

In any occurrence, articulable facts must be distinguished before enacting a stop, and these facts must be expanded before a search and seizure is conducted. A person may not be immediately searched once he is detained. However, Terry v. Ohio(2) allows for a protective patdown of a person?s clothing when suspicious activity alerts the officer to some danger. Any search under Terry v. Ohio must be used to discover weapons, though, not evidence of a crime. In Minnesota v. Dickerson(3), the defendant was seen evasively leaving a building known for cocaine traffic. The officers ordered the man to stop and submitted him to a patdown. A lump was detected in a coat pocket and manipulated by an officer during the probe. The object was removed and identified as cocaine. This stop and patdown was ruled constitutional, but the seizure of the drug was suppressed. The officer never thought the lump to be a weapon; therefore, the continued exploration of the pocket was unconstitutional. Only after its illegal removal was the lump recognized as cocaine.

http://www.totse.com/en/law/justice_for_all/1stamend.html

Sounds like sloppy police work to me....

CdwJava

shana56258 said:
Sounds like a classic wrong place at the wrong time type of situation. Sorry about your bike being seized. That just makes the whole ordeal suck even more. I ride too, so I feel for ya. From past expirience my best advice is to get a CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER. Do whatever you have to do to round up the funds for one. That is your best chance for a fair outcome. Public defenders don't give a hoot about your case..you are just paperwork to them. Good Luck
A "Public Defender" IS a "criminal defense lawyer." And, unlike most general practice attorneys, the public defender ONLY does criminal defense work. In fact, they are more likely to know ho things work in the criminal courts then many private attorneys who are jacks-of-all-trades.

And one can argue that a private attorney also doesn't "give a hoot" about their client's case because all they want is the paycheck.

There are good and bad attorneys. I have seen crappy private attorneys and really good public defenders. One works for money and independence, and the other works to get training or because they are motivated by something more than the almighty dollar.

(EDIT: ... Note to Seniorjudge ... you can check if Hades has dropped to 32 degrees farenheit now ... that's twice in one month I've stepped up for attorneys.

Time to schedule an appointment with my doctor ... I must be ill ...)

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

(EDIT: ... Note to Seniorjudge ... you can check if Hades has dropped to 32 degrees farenheit now ... that's twice in one month I've stepped up for attorneys. Time to schedule an appointment with my doctor ... I must be ill ...)

Carl, one cop I knew had constant battles royale with one particular defense attorney in court. It was better than television. The cop got arrested for...well, let's say he was trying to plea bargain with female suspects.

Guess who he hired to defend him?

Q: Was it legal for them to even approach me?
A: Yes, you were at a crime scene.

Q: Was the search legal?
A: Possibly; but the seizure was not (see my prior post).

Q: What right did he have to seize my bike?
A: You were transporting dope.

Q: Anyone have any case law citings? My attorney has already been paid 18k and hasn't done a damn thing so i want to get the ball rolling. It's my understanding that a "Terry" search is a pat down of the extremeties ONLY looking for weapons and does not permit access to pockets. The officers report says, "While patting him down I felt a bulge I knew to be consistent with a clear plastic bag containing crystal methamphetamine" Doesn't that sound absolutely retarded?
A: See prior post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">