• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead beat dad giving up rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MARBOOZ

What is the name of your state?FL
I found out I was pregnant after I had left my ex boyfriend, who was at the time we got together a recovering drug addict, and an alchoholic who had a relapse. He was never there for me when I was pregnant, but did come to sign my sons birth certificate when he was born. He has seen our son maybe twice since then. And I have refused to let our son spend weekends with him at his request because of the drugs, alchohol and because of several attempts of suicide by his father. I have however requested that he could visit with our son anytime as long as it is supervised. I have been fighting to have child support set up for 14 months now and still have not gotten to court. His mom was giving me 200 dollars a month to keep it looking like he was helping but she has stopped paying me now stating she is no longer going to support her 28 year old son. She has now told me that her son wants to give up rights to our son. (I am praying at this point this is true)
I have been with my fiance every since I found out I was pregnant (at four months) he has been the father of my child from day one and wants to adopt him. How do we go about all of this. How do I, without an attorney, get the papers stating that the father gives up his rights to our child. Do we have to go to court for this seperate from the child support court, or can this be taken care of all at once. And since I have now been told that my fiance cannot adopt my son until we are married for a certain period of time,Do I still recieve child support until he is adopted or does this mean he will not be supported by the father giving up the rights to see him. It has taken so long for the child support court date that I just want this to be over. I cant afford an attorney, I have been on welfare since before he was born. :confused: :(

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, it would have to go to court. If paternity hasn't been established, it will have to be. Your fiance will not be able to adopt until you have been married for a period of time. Dad will have to give his consent. Yes, you should speak with a lawyer. Since you were on state aid, you will not be able to "trade" support arrears for Dad's consent. Don't bother using the "drug addict and alcoholic" line in court as he was good enough at the time to sleep with 0 judges hear it all the time and it doesn't impress them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">