• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public aid??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kpepperz

What is the name of your state? IL
It's me again with questions for my dad. My stepmom apparently has applied for an apartment on the other side of town in order to "get space" from my dad so they can work on their problems. She is planning on applying for Public Aid so she can get food stamps and Section 8 housing, and she is confident she will get it. She stated that she does not want a divorce, just time to work things out with my dad. His question is this: can a married woman just up and decide to walk out on her husband AND get the state to pay her for that? Isn't she required to divulge her marital status in order to apply? Also, in the event she does lie and gets aid, will my dad be on the hook for repayment when her lies come out?

Thank you for all your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">