• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony, Deposition, and Cohabition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SandyLu

What is the name of your state? California
I am going in for a Depositon. Do I have to answers new questions? My soon to be ex has gotten a new lawyer (a friend of his as well as someone whom gave advice to us both for two different issues in the past). I was wondering if I have the right to plead the 5th? I will answer any questions completely truthfully to a Judge in chambers but I fear for my safety and I have a restraining order against my spouse, can I refuse and not be jailed if I don't answer these questions. Also what are the laws with cohabition and alimony? I have a room mate we are completely 1/2 everything. Is this going to cut my alimony? My last question is I was married for over 25 years and I make a mere 1300 to his almost 8,000. I am trying to go to college to get my degree so i can fully take care of myself. What are the chances of me winning in court to get him to either pay for my education for the next 3 years or for him to give me a lump sum for my education? Thanks for the info. Sandylu

Last edited:

LdiJ

SandyLu said:
What is the name of your state? California
I am going in for a Depositon. Do I have to answers new questions? My soon to be ex has gotten a new lawyer (a friend of his as well as someone whom gave advice to us both for two different issues in the past). I was wondering if I have the right to plead the 5th? I will answer any questions completely truthfully to a Judge in chambers but I fear for my safety and I have a restraining order against my spouse, can I refuse and not be jailed if I don't answer these questions. Also what are the laws with cohabition and alimony? I have a room mate we are completely 1/2 everything. Is this going to cut my alimony? My last question is I was married for over 25 years and I make a mere 1300 to his almost 8,000. I am trying to go to college to get my degree so i can fully take care of myself. What are the chances of me winning in court to get him to either pay for my education for the next 3 years or for him to give me a lump sum for my education? Thanks for the info. Sandylu
A roommate doesn't necessarily equate to cohabitation. Is this a true roommate?.....or is it someone with who you are involved romantically? If your divorce is not yet finalized then you may be able to get some additional help for your education...but that is not guaranteed.

If the attorney your husband has hired has represented you both in the past, then it may be a conflict of interest.

Randall Somer

Look at "CA. Law" by "Candym"

Look at "CA. Law" by "Candym" In this section (Alimony Spousal Support), it answers some of your questions. I am not an attorney and know how difficult it is to find answers ones questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">