• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

window bars??????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nusias9

What is the name of your state?NJ

Our Association installed exterior window bars over the windows several years prior to our purchase. While addressing several repairs required for us to resell our condo, we discovered that the window bars (common element) covering our bedroom windows were in violation of city code. The Association is making repairs/adjustments to the bars.

However, the Association is now considering the option of placing the bars in the interior of our unit. The Association can repair the window bars from the exterior. Instead they want reduce cost by installing them on the interior of my unit. This is a big problem as our buyers, under contract, are not in agreement with this proposed solution. The window bars on the interior will create a negative focal point within the room and would inhibit some of the functional use of the book ledge that was built two inches below the window. (book ledge is in the orginial blueprints of the unit)

Our closing attorney claims that we can refuse the Association the option to alter the boundries within our unit. I am a little worried about his advise topic, because this could blow the sale for us. I have to stand by my buyer, because he signed a contract for the unit with the window bars on the exterior. I would be angry if i had signed a contract for a unit in one condition, only to discover that it had been altered into a different state right before I closed on the property.

I cannot find anything (may not be undering the CCR's) that states the Association has the right to alter an owners unit for the Associations benefit

Can we stop the Association from altering the inside of our unit, as the bars are presently located on the exterior not the interior????

Just needing a second opinion.....

Last edited:

HomeGuru

nusias9 said:
What is the name of your state?NJ

Our Association installed exterior window bars over the windows several years prior to our purchase. While addressing several repairs required for us to resell our condo, we discovered that the window bars (common element) covering our bedroom windows were in violation of city code. The Association is making repairs/adjustments to the bars.

However, the Association is now considering the option of placing the bars in the interior of our unit. The Association can repair the window bars from the exterior. Instead they want reduce cost by installing them on the interior of my unit. This is a big problem as our buyers, under contract, are not in agreement with this proposed solution. The window bars on the interior will create a negative focal point within the room and would inhibit some of the functional use of the book ledge that was built two inches below the window. (book ledge is in the orginial blueprints of the unit)

**A: first of all what are the bars for? Next, if the bars are for security purposes, if does not matter if they are installed on the exterior or interior as it would still be a violation of city code if it can't be easily opened (even with use of a key) for fire escape purposes.

Our closing attorney claims that we can refuse the Association the option to alter the boundries within our unit. I am a little worried about his advise topic, because this could blow the sale for us. I have to stand by my buyer, because he signed a contract for the unit with the window bars on the exterior. I would be angry if i had signed a contract for a unit in one condition, only to discover that it had been altered into a different state right before I closed on the property.

I cannot find anything (may not be undering the CCR's) that states the Association has the right to alter an owners unit for the Associations benefit

Can we stop the Association from altering the inside of our unit, as the bars are presently located on the exterior not the interior????

Just needing a second opinion.....

**A: see above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">