• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girl sat on table and broke it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adamsmc

What is the name of your state? IN

I invited some people over to my apartment and they brought over two girls that I have never met before. I have 2 couches, 1 arm chair and 4 dining room tables for people to sit on and there was only 7 people here at the time. In front of the couches was a wood coffee table that I got 3 years ago that cost me 144 dollars. One of these girls sat on the table and broke it. In later emails with this girl at first she wrote saying that she would gladly replace the table with the exact same one. I agreed to this. Then in the next email she claimed she was only partially responsible because I did not have enough places to sit and she was forced to sit on the couch. I figured at this point I would not see the 144 but I would take anything at this point so I said 72 half would be fine. She then emailed me again and now she said to check with my renters insurance they would pay for the table, well I don't have renters insurance because it has a 500 dollar deductible and my table is only 144. So when I told her this she never responded. I sent her one last email 3 days later from hers telling her that if I have to I will file in Small Claims court. She emails me 6 days later and says she spoke to an attorney and that he/she said that because I let her in the door I assume responsibity for the broke table and she is not liable. She then proceed to tell me she would sue me for harrassment if I did not stop emailing her.

My question is she admitted to breaking the table and claimed responsibility for the table in email which i have printed out. I have the original table plus my original invoice from when I bought it and pictures documenting the damage that was done plus a statement from the repair man who works for the company i got the table from stating the table can not be fixed. Do I have a case against this girl because I really don't want to let her get away with breaking my table and leaving me with nothing.

adamsmc

correspondance with this girl

I have only talked to this girl through email. I have never contacted her on the phone and now after just 6 emails she claims she is going to sue me for harrassment. I am going to file for small claims tomarrow since the court house is closed today for presidents day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">