• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unusual circumstance--is this cohabitation????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lkmiller

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Kansas

Here is my situation. I am in Kansas and have been divorced since last Oct--receiving allimony unless 'cohabitation of 30 days w/ adult male in marriage-type relationship'. The decree also states that it would take a court order to change. Of course I do not want to lose my allimony becasue need it to live on right now. Please give me advice concerning this situation.

I have a male friend who lives in another country and is coming to visit me for 3 months. It would not be possible for him to stay longer because he is coming on a Passport and would need visa to stay longer. This is a trial arrangement and he is not employed and will be bringing no money so I would like to avoid losing my allimony at this time. I was thinking of having him stay with a friend for part of the time to make sure that he is not living with me for 30 days consecutively.

Please give me some adivce on this.

BelizeBreeze

Let me try to understand you.

You have a valid court order.
That court order stipulates that you are to be paid alimony.
That alimony is to be paid until such time as you cohabitate with a male for more than 30 days.
You have a 'friend' who is going to live with you for 90 days.
You want to know if you can circumvent that court order by moving that 'friend' around to your friends.

Am I right so far?

And you came to a legal advice site to ask this question in hopes of finding someone here who would give you advice on how to circumvent the current valid court order?

CJane

Wow. I didn't even know that people were commonly awarded spousal support anymore. I wasn't awarded it, and I was unemployed/had been a stay at home mom for 5 years.

My suggestion would be to change your circumstances so that you don't need to live off of your ex anymore, and not to try and 'get around' what the court has outlined.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">