• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It's because I'm black

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ediecap

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New York.
My hubby and I went to cash our checks at a 24hr check cashing place. I had a record there and my husband did not. My husband presented his check which was about $2200,NYS ID and MY SS card(by accident, he was holding both cards. I was taken care of a bit after him by another teller. When I approached the window I told the clerk that I didn't have my NYS ID but I have a file there and I had my SS card and my job photo ID and a copy of my income tax forms. She looks at my photo ID and asks for my ss card.

I walked down 2 tellers to my husband, he goes in his wallet and gives me the card. The clerk asked my husband in spanish "Is that your wife?" My husband relayed this to me later on.

I walk back to my teller and hand her the card. My teller checks the card and says the card doesn't match their files. She shows me the screen. I saw the number I realized my husband was about to cash his check with my SS card! I call out to him,"You have my social". His teller was writing my ss number on the back of his check and about to cash it. He gets my card back from his teller and the clerk sitting next to my teller, says I need the NYS ID. You can't cash it without it. Go to the DMV and they will give you a temp. I said Thank You, I know that. "Can I cash this smaller check for 180"? and she says yes. My larger check was $1800.
Let me say in order to have a card on file at this place you have to present a current NYS ID, proof of address, your social security card, they take a digital photo of you and you have to give your thumbprint. I present this woman with all the corrobating information and she told me I didn't have proper ID. They pulled up my record and said that since I haven't used them in a year they could not cash the larger check.

My husband came off the the street and gave them His NYS ID and MY social. He was able to cash his check. There are no signs in the place stating the check cashing policies or a list of IDs needed to cash a check. I am black and my husband is clearly hispanic. All the tellers were hispanic females. Am I overeacting?​

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

You are not only overreaching but you're fishing without a pole, bait or hook.

There is nothing even remotely racist about this situation as your title alludes to. The law doesn't tell a business how to conduct itself and if they felt like not cashing your check they were well within their rights to do so.

This is a matter between you, your husband and the company, not the law.

S

seniorjudge

ediecap said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New York.
My hubby and I went to cash our checks at a 24hr check cashing place. I had a record there and my husband did not. My husband presented his check which was about $2200,NYS ID and MY SS card(by accident, he was holding both cards. I was taken care of a bit after him by another teller. When I approached the window I told the clerk that I didn't have my NYS ID but I have a file there and I had my SS card and my job photo ID and a copy of my income tax forms. She looks at my photo ID and asks for my ss card.

I walked down 2 tellers to my husband, he goes in his wallet and gives me the card. The clerk asked my husband in spanish "Is that your wife?" My husband relayed this to me later on.

I walk back to my teller and hand her the card. My teller checks the card and says the card doesn't match their files. She shows me the screen. I saw the number I realized my husband was about to cash his check with my SS card! I call out to him,"You have my social". His teller was writing my ss number on the back of his check and about to cash it. He gets my card back from his teller and the clerk sitting next to my teller, says I need the NYS ID. You can't cash it without it. Go to the DMV and they will give you a temp. I said Thank You, I know that. "Can I cash this smaller check for 180"? and she says yes. My larger check was $1800.
Let me say in order to have a card on file at this place you have to present a current NYS ID, proof of address, your social security card, they take a digital photo of you and you have to give your thumbprint. I present this woman with all the corrobating information and she told me I didn't have proper ID. They pulled up my record and said that since I haven't used them in a year they could not cash the larger check.

My husband came off the the street and gave them His NYS ID and MY social. He was able to cash his check. There are no signs in the place stating the check cashing policies or a list of IDs needed to cash a check. I am black and my husband is clearly hispanic. All the tellers were hispanic females. Am I overeacting?​

The people in these places are paid to be exceptionally suspicious. Sounds like they were doing their jobs. They are not paid to be polite and it's a good thing, since most of them are not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">