• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ambr

What is the name of your state? Arkansas / Missouri

This one gets confusing, even for me and I am watching it all happen.

Here are the facts, as I know them.

Mom and Dad not married.
DNA tested, Dad listed on BC, acknowledge paternity.
CS Order established in MO.
No custody / visitation order established.

MOM and child move to AR.
Father bouncing between MO and AR, believe current residence MO

Dad has had opportunities, but has no desire to be involved with child.
Dad saw daughter when 3 months old, maybe 5 minutes top.
No other physical or emotional contact.
Spuratic child support, 1 payment in April 2004 (income tax intercepted), 6 or 7 in 2003 (wage garnishments, income tax intercept).

Mom has asked several times for Dad to allow stepdad to adopt.
Dad refuses to sign papers.

CSE finally issues summons for Non-support in MO
Dad "thinking" about adoption

Would papers need to be filed in MO (since that is where CS case is) or could it be filed in AR (since no custody / visitations order has been established).

I am thinking AR - since nothing has been established towards custody yet, but I want to double check before I say anything to MOM.

Last edited:

brisgirl825

Not too sure but I think it would be AR since that is where the child lives. I recently moved to Joplin, Mo from Wichita, Ks. Wichita is where divorce, c/s, and visitation orders were filed but since we moved, I was told by my atty that I could file papers for adoption here. I am waiting for the 6 mth residency requirement first. So if this is a recent move, you might have to wait a certain amount of time.

Good luck! :)

Sarah

Hope4KidZ

Child's Custody Determined by State of Residence

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act states that a child's custody must be heard in the state where the child is a resident.

Good Luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">