• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony and 8 Year Marrige

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hughesxf11

What is the name of your state? Tn.

What is the name of your state? TN.

We have been married since May 13, 1996 and have been separated since Jan 2 2004. She is asking for an additonal $2200 in alimony in addition to the 1300 she will automatically get for child support. (2 kids) She has not worked since our first daughter but is very employable. She owned and operated her own business and was in the retail industry all of her adult life. She is also asking for 1/2 of my IRA value since we married. She is also askiing for me to pay her lawyer fees in addition to private schoole for the kids.

1. Does she have rights to the IRA?
2. Will alimony be awarded?

hughesxf11

I guess I was thinking in terms of gerneral divorce. I understoon from one of my sources that access to the ira was not valid bacause I had not contributed to the fund since our marrige and there it was passice growth. As far as alimony goes, I was looking for some direction in that she is employable. How often is alimony awarded when the spouse is indeed employable.

LdiJ

hughesxf11 said:
I guess I was thinking in terms of gerneral divorce. I understoon from one of my sources that access to the ira was not valid bacause I had not contributed to the fund since our marrige and there it was passice growth. As far as alimony goes, I was looking for some direction in that she is employable. How often is alimony awarded when the spouse is indeed employable.

If it does get awarded when the spouse is truly employable then its generally for a very limited amount of time.

nextwife

And wwhat about all her retirement accounts? Does she think you should get half of THOSE?

Get an attorney and fight her on both the alimony and IRS "split". Agree to split only the INCREASE in value" since the marriage. And ask for the same on any IRA/retirement accounts she has.

Any premarital contribututions should not be counted.

A few years out of retail should in NO WAY inhibit her ability to get back into that field. Retail merchandising has not changed that much since 96. She has job skills that are fairly recent in a field that does often have employment opportunities

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">