• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does the process work.. will it ever end ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RCiancia

What is the name of your state? NY

After a lengthy divorce of 2+ years, we agreed to settle on Oct 25th , 2004, and entered a Stipulation in the court in front of a referee. On Dec 1st, after not being asked to sign anything , or hearing from lawyer, he told me the final papers weren't filed becuase my ex wouldnt pay her lawyer to do it. I instructed my lawyer to file the papers and he did so on Dec 15th, 2004. I filed a motion on Dec15th as well becasue my ex decided to not keep the leased car, as we agreed... we settled te motion on Jan 28th, 2005. Here is Feb 20th, 2005 and still no signed divorce papers.. I know NY is slow, but my lawyer keeps telling me its on their desk and waiting.. He told me last week, that they are just signing October divorces...I am skeptical at best as to if I should believe him.... What is the normal lead time to get final judgement signed in NY, Queens County? 2nd question.. Am I legally divorced?? I have to file taxes and claim alimony>????

Any help is appreciated from the dedicated Men and Women who dedicate their time on this board.

Regards
Ron

ablessin

Lengthy Divorce

RCiancia said:
What is the name of your state? NY

After a lengthy divorce of 2+ years, we agreed to settle on Oct 25th , 2004, and entered a Stipulation in the court in front of a referee. On Dec 1st, after not being asked to sign anything , or hearing from lawyer, he told me the final papers weren't filed becuase my ex wouldnt pay her lawyer to do it. I instructed my lawyer to file the papers and he did so on Dec 15th, 2004. I filed a motion on Dec15th as well becasue my ex decided to not keep the leased car, as we agreed... we settled te motion on Jan 28th, 2005. Here is Feb 20th, 2005 and still no signed divorce papers.. I know NY is slow, but my lawyer keeps telling me its on their desk and waiting.. He told me last week, that they are just signing October divorces...I am skeptical at best as to if I should believe him.... What is the normal lead time to get final judgement signed in NY, Queens County? 2nd question.. Am I legally divorced?? I have to file taxes and claim alimony>????

Any help is appreciated from the dedicated Men and Women who dedicate their time on this board.

Regards
Ron
RON - I AM ALSO A NEW YORKER.... MY LAWYER TOLD ME ABOUT 4 WEEKS FOR A FINAL DIVORCE........HOWEVER THAT IS FOR UNCONTESTED... GOOD LUCK!

had enough

lenghty divorce

Hi,
Its not only New York who drags a divorce on, I live in PA ,and my STBX filed in Nov of 2003,and its still not over with. On the other hand ,I have a friend who lives in Minnasota and his divorce was over and final in one month..talk about living in the wrong state. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">