• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wants to marry a canadain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

god_smack99

What is the name of your state? new york

Hi, I am in need of some help. I want to marry my gf from canada and I'm so confused on how to go about this .. she comes down from montreal and does not need a visa to get into the US .. what I need to know is if she comes down here and we get married before filing any papers with ins ... Can she stay while the paper work is being done or does she have to go back to montreal ? I have called my town hall and we can get married there no problem even tho she is from canada. what is the best way to go about this ? We both want to be together now but I'm worry that if we get married when she comes down here to visit that it will mess things up. what do we need to do ?

ty, smacko

evcalyptos

god_smack99 said:
what is the best way to go about this ? We both want to be together now but I'm worry that if we get married when she comes down here to visit that it will mess things up. what do we need to do ?

ty, smacko
It might indeed mess things up if she plans on driving over the border as a visitor and then marries and applies to adjust status (immigrate to the US); that act is illegal.
As you are not yet married, please look up and review the K-1 Fiance visa. It is the right one for your situation.

Assuming you are a US citizen, you file petition I-129f with some various other papers, and when it is approved, she can apply for the Fiance Visa.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

god_smack99

ty for the info ... I do have more ?'s ... so what your saying is she should stya in montreal or can she still come here on a visit and live and we do the paperwork from here until she has to go back home ?

evcalyptos

god_smack99 said:
ty for the info ... I do have more ?'s ... so what your saying is she should stya in montreal or can she still come here on a visit and live and we do the paperwork from here until she has to go back home ?
So that you can learn to play the Immigration game successfully, you should know that "come here on a visit" does not go with "and live". They are 2 very distinct categories.
If she appears at the border and tells the US agents she is here to "live" for awhile, she will be promptly returned home.

It is possible to actually visit, and she should start studying on what she can do to be successful at her next entry attempt.

You would benefit from the information at visajourney.com
There are many Canadian K1 couples there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">