• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage/Greencard/Victim's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nymichigan

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi. 5 years ago, I went to India and had an arranged marriage per my culture. I am a US Citizen. The person I married had issues (lots of lying, drinking, abusive treatment, impotency), however I remained in the marriage thinking my commitment would get us through it. My indian husband who was a doctor claimed he would get help for his problems with alcohol and impotency and wanted some space. He said he would move in with a friend in order to do this. During this time, we were called to INS for his greencard interview and i attended. Put together all the documentation in order to get his greencard approved. He attended the interview and asked to end our marriage immediately afterwards. It was 2 years after we got married, so his greencard was permanent and there was nothing I could do about it. I was very depressed, felt very used and finally filed for an annulment to put it behind me.

Are there any options to bring this issue to INS? Does a victim of such fraud have any rights after the 2 years have passed? Has anyone else gone thru this type of situation. I feel so stupid for trusting such a fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">