• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to re-establish domicile plzzz advise!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dr_me

Hi
Regarding the immigraion (i-130) and domicile laws as applied to Virginia, my question is if a naturalized citizen has not maintained her domicile due long absence for family and education considerations, what credible steps should be taken by the citizen to show intent to re-establish domicile (to sponsor i-864 affidevit of support) if the citizen needs to continue education outside the US for a year or two after sponsoring her spouse.

Secondly would such a citizen who re-establishes domicile be eligible to sponsor their spouse only on basis of assets, having no income tax returns for past 3 years.

Thanx

evcalyptos

dr_me said:
Hi
Regarding the immigraion (i-130) and domicile laws as applied to Virginia, my question is if a naturalized citizen has not maintained her domicile due long absence for family and education considerations, what credible steps should be taken by the citizen to show intent to re-establish domicile (to sponsor i-864 affidevit of support) if the citizen needs to continue education outside the US for a year or two after sponsoring her spouse.

Secondly would such a citizen who re-establishes domicile be eligible to sponsor their spouse only on basis of assets, having no income tax returns for past 3 years.

Thanx
The be considered a sponsor for the I-864 (or a joint sponsor), the USC or LPR must be resident in the US. If you will be attending school overseas, you are not eligible as I see it. If you have not maintained any ties to the US, it will be difficult to say 'oh, but I really live there'. I remember you asking about this before.

As to your second Q, you will still need tax returns, or a truthful reason why you were not required to file under IRS rules for each of the past 3 years. You may use assets only (I did), but I recommend that you pay for a face-to-face with an attorney to find out about the domicile issue. In years and years, I've never read of a case where a non-resident USC was able to be the sponsor (and I do keep an eye out for these types of cases).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">