• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on TN-1 visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fatling123

California

Hi, currently i am working in California under TN status and my visa will expire on May 3rd. I have two questions that i want to ask.

1. I was given a job offer last week from a company different from the one that i am working with now. From what i know, i will need to apply for a new TN visa in order for me to work for this company. However, will there be any problem for me to apply for a new TN visa if my current visa has not expired? will i be able to apply for a new TN visa without leaving America?

2. Is there a grace period after my visa expires? if so, how long is the grace period?

Thank you so much for helping me out.

Regards
Fatling

Chris Brunot

1. Well, you have two alternatives available to you.

First - You can file for a change of employers by filing the Form I-129 with the appropriate filing fee ($185 I guess).

Second - you can return to Canada (I presume you are a Canadian national) and present the TN support documents for the new employer at the port of entry. Thus you can be readmitted in TN status for the new employer. If you are a Mexican National, you can apply for a visa once the petition is approved.

2. Your stay will be determined by the date marked on your I-94. There is no grace period beyond that, though you can file for extension of stay or change of status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">