• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They're charging me late fees for $5.00!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AMarie05

I LIVE IN KANSAS.

When I first purchased my condo, my seller told me that the association dues were $105 per month. So via my online banking, I set my payment to go out automatically. I learned a few months later that the dues were $110 per month. My association is now wanting me to pay for the 4 months that I only paid $105, so I owe them $20.00 (which I don’t have a problem with) but now they want me to pay that $20.00 plus a $25.00 late fee for EVERY month. So instead of owing $20.00, I owe more than $300.00.

I talked to a couple of board member and they’ve told me that they would vote on whether or not I would have to pay at their next meeting. I don’t imagine that they will vote in my favor our association is mean and greedy and will JUMP at the chance to take money from me or anyone they can.

Is what they’re doing legal???? What should I do?
:mad:

Last edited:

HomeGuru

AMarie05 said:
I LIVE IN KANSAS.

When I first purchased my condo, my seller told me that the association dues were $105 per month. So via my online banking, I set my payment to go out automatically. I learned a few months later that the dues were $110 per month. My association is now wanting me to pay for the 4 months that I only paid $105, so I owe them $20.00 (which I don’t have a problem with) but now they want me to pay that $20.00 plus a $25.00 late fee for EVERY month. So instead of owing $20.00, I owe more than $300.00.

I talked to a couple of board member and they’ve told me that they would vote on whether or not I would have to pay at their next meeting. I don’t imagine that they will vote in my favor our association is mean and greedy and will JUMP at the chance to take money from me or anyone they can.

Is what they’re doing legal????

**A: yes. did you not READ your CC&R's?
What should I do?

**A: Pay up. And next time rely on what the HOA tells you and verify things in writing rather than listening to the Seller.

racer72

Your math does not add up. 4 times 5 is 20 plus the $25 a month late fees should equal $120. Where did the rest come from?

HomeGuru

racer72 said:
Your math does not add up. 4 times 5 is 20 plus the $25 a month late fees should equal $120. Where did the rest come from?
**A: online bank account had no funds so bounced check(s)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">