• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-864 Affidavit used for Spousal Support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ben2198

What is the name of your state?I am curious if the I-864 affidavit of support, is currently being used by family law attorneys, to get support for sponsored immigrants, can not support themselves to the 125% poverty level, for whatever reason (job skills, language etc).

I am doing some research for a school project and….I ask from the standpoint of a taxpayer wishing to ensure these immigrants do not become public charges….and to ensure that immigrants get the support they need for basic life needs, when the affidavit exists, and the sponsor has agreed to it’s terms.

So… Is anyone aware of actual cases where this (the 864) has been used as a basis to argue for spousal support where otherwise, due to the length of the marriage etc. the spouse may not have been due alimony (but for the 864)…. Or can provide some tips of searching for these cases.

Thanks in advance.
Ben
Florida

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">