• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who is the father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?missouri
Could a 17 year old mother sign for an adoption, being she is a minor, without her parent's permission? This was in 4/1974. She was married so would she not have been emancipated? Her husband was not the father. Could she have gone into a hospital and say she was not married and have whoever she "said" was the father to sign for the adoption? I also heard that if she had a mental problem that she would not need a father to sign. I thoght both signatures were required. Or could her and her mother have signed? I have looked and cant seem to find the answer..thanks for your time...

S

seniorjudge

Q: Why do you ask all these hypothetical questions?

Q: What if there were no such thing as a hypothetical question?

Q: Do you have a non-sequitur or is it orange?

Q: Could a 17 year old mother sign for an adoption, being she is a minor, without her parent's permission?
A: Yes

Q: She was married so would she not have been emancipated?

Q: Could she have gone into a hospital and say she was not married and have whoever she "said" was the father to sign for the adoption?
A: I checked into this, but when I turned on my crystal ball, I got ESPN, not ESP. When I get my crystal ball back, I will let you know. (I sent it out for repair.)

Q: I also heard that if she had a mental problem that she would not need a father to sign.
A: See non-sequitur reference above.

Q: Or could her and her mother have signed?
A: If you REALLY REALLY want the answers to these things, I know a Missouri lawyer who is quite familiar with the adoption laws in force 31 years ago. She charges $1000 per hour. How many hours do you want her to search?

The kid is at least 31 years old now. What's the point of all this?

seniorjudge said:
Q: Why do you ask all these hypothetical questions?

Q: What if there were no such thing as a hypothetical question?

Q: Do you have a non-sequitur or is it orange?

Q: Could a 17 year old mother sign for an adoption, being she is a minor, without her parent's permission?

Q: She was married so would she not have been emancipated?

Q: Could she have gone into a hospital and say she was not married and have whoever she "said" was the father to sign for the adoption?
A: I checked into this, but when I turned on my crystal ball, I got ESPN, not ESP. When I get my crystal ball back, I will let you know. (I sent it out for repair.)

Q: I also heard that if she had a mental problem that she would not need a father to sign.
A: See non-sequitur reference above.

Q: Or could her and her mother have signed?
A: If you REALLY REALLY want the answers to these things, I know a Missouri lawyer who is quite familiar with the adoption laws in force 31 years ago. She charges $1000 per hour. How many hours do you want her to search?

The kid is at least 31 years old now. What's the point of all this?
They are not hypothetical questions. I appreciate advice but I do not appreciate sarcasm this is not a funny situation. Yes she is 31. You try being told when your 16, the parents you thought were your Birth parents were not. Then try at 31 finding out the father you had been told was yours since 16 was not your father either. We are just trying to find out if someone could give us some sort of answer about how to find this all out since it was a closed adoption. I have found that for the most part your replies are great, helpful and nice,so why you chose to attack me I do not know.If my post annoyed you then perhaps you should have moved on.None of my questions were hypothetical they were all possibilities of what bio mother may have done. thanks for the help, Ill ignore the sarcasm.

S

seniorjudge

Go to www.mobar.org

Ask them if there is any kind of organization of people in Missouri who look for their birth parents.

If you ask a question with facts instead of framing them as hypothetical questions, you will go a lot further on this forum.

nextwife

Most adoptees I know consider the parents who raised them to BE their "parents". The other people are the bioparents, but not the "parents".

Yes, your parents were wrong for hiding the way you all became a family - there is NO reason a parent of an adopted child should hide the special way they came together, as there is absolutley nothing wrong with being adopted. My child has known since before she could talk (we must have read Jamie Lee Curtis book "Tell me Again About the Night I was Born" together 100 times).

HOW the adoption occured is irrelevant at this point, even if those records were available. It did occur.

Do you have any idea how many woman have lied to/mislead their kids to believe that a man OTHER than the actual biofather was their dad? Many women put whomever they are "hooked up with" at the time of the birth on the birth certificate, and often even the named dad is not aware of the deception! OR they have a new BF/husband a year or two after the child was born, and then raise that child believing that this guy is their biodad. The numbers are staggering. A tremendous number of kids are growing up believing that the man they know as their dad is their biodad, when in fact someone else is - and there is not any record to even try to unseal. At least most of today's adoption community strongly advocates being truthful from day 1.

nextwife said:
Most adoptees I know consider the parents who raised them to BE their "parents". The other people are the bioparents, but not the "parents".

Yes, your parents were wrong for hiding the way you all became a family - there is NO reason a parent of an adopted child should hide the special way they came together, as there is absolutley nothing wrong with being adopted. My child has known since before she could talk (we must have read Jamie Lee Curtis book "Tell me Again About the Night I was Born" together 100 times).

HOW the adoption occured is irrelevant at this point, even if those records were available. It did occur.

Do you have any idea how many woman have lied to/mislead their kids to believe that a man OTHER than the actual biofather was their dad? Many women put whomever they are "hooked up with" at the time of the birth on the birth certificate, and often even the named dad is not aware of the deception! OR they have a new BF/husband a year or two after the child was born, and then raise that child believing that this guy is their biodad. The numbers are staggering. A tremendous number of kids are growing up believing that the man they know as their dad is their biodad, when in fact someone else is - and there is not any record to even try to unseal. At least most of today's adoption community strongly advocates being truthful from day 1.
Thanks for all your time and help.It wasnt my parents who told her worng. My father is her bio dad and he never consented to the adoption, she fled right before birth, so that he could not do anything about it. He wanted the child. Today my sister called me and the state told her she could have the records opened with just her signature. She did however have a very bad childhood, as the parents divorced, due to adopted father being homosexual. Anyway, she had medical problems ,that is how she found out the man her bio mom said was her father was indeed not her father. Again thanks for your time...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">