• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RACIST 1SG in my unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Qfrank

I have been in a new unit here at Fort Bragg, NC for about 10 months. Since I have been here I have been negatively targeted because of my ethnicity.

I am a mid career soldier, a NCO with 6 years in the Army.
Since I have been in I have been to airborne school, air assault, expert infantry, advance airborne. I have competed in several soldier boards and have won on the company, battalion and even one brigade level competition. I have always worked very hard, followed orders and completed task to or above the standard. My PT scores are always above 290, I'm 10 minutes early to every formation and always in the right uniform. My ratings and monthly counseling in the past have always been excellent.

10 months ago when I was promoted I was sent to this new unit here on fort bragg and since then I have had nothing but problems with this 1SG.

He addresses me as m_th_r F_ck_r, or B_tch and I have noticed that he does it to many people in the unit. He has put me on Charge of quarters and other duty roster more than anyone else in the unit. I have started counting and in the past 10 months I have spent 19 weekends (either a saturday or sunday) on the CQ desk pulling 24 hour duty. When I asked him about it he lit me up, put me at parade rest, slammed his office door and chewed my ass for literally 45 minutes. He told me to never question him. Since then I have just driven on with the mission and sucked it up, but he keeps coming with it. I have been put on additional duties, he has assigned me additional duties as the training room NCO, the ammo NCO, weapons NCO, NBC NCO. special pops PT NCO.. all of this on top of running my own section.
The weird thing is whenever anyone (of his race) in the unit is given additional duties they are taken off of the Charge of Quarter roster. Of course I do not want to quesion him on this and when I have asked other senior NCO's in the unit about the situation their advice is to stay as far out of his path as possible because he will crush anyone who gets in his way. (most of the unit including the company commander is truly afraid of opposing the 1SG)

It is so completely obvious that there are racial as well as other issues with this 1SG, however nobody is willing to take the heat and say anything.

My last attempt at making sense of how he runs things ended with a painful ass chewing and threats.. (truly ungrounded) at taking my rank. In addition to the ass chewing I just ended up with more **** work and duties. Additionally, he will call me into his office have me stand at parade rest while he sits in his chair and asks me questions for 30 + minutes at a time. He'll ask me if I like the additional duties he has given me, he'll ask what I think of other soldiers in the unit, he'll ask me things like why are you such a dumb ass. This one is really amusing, seeing how I have busted my ass in night school and will finish my masters in education this year. He has a GED thats it.

Anyway, I can go on but my questions are:

1. Do I have to put up with being called B_tch and Mother F....
2. Who can I talk to without him retaliating on me or others in the unit
3. How the hell can I get out of this unit!

I like the army and planned to stay in but this guy has changed how I feel about alot of things!

Qfrank

no advice???

I see that this may be too politically charged for you to reply to.

Did I mention that my 1SG is black and that I am white.

DaniG

Advice

You need to contact teh base EO officer no one no matter the rank can use word such as you 1st Sgt. Fight it. I had this same problem a few years ago trust me EO will do somthing about it and if the dont go to IG and your local JAG file complaints you need this all documented. Good luck dont give up because one of one bad seed and trust me you will run into many others. Keep your head up :eek:

BelizeBreeze

It is so completely obvious that there are racial as well as other issues with this 1SG, however nobody is willing to take the heat and say anything.
Obvious to you maybe, but not to this forum nor to anyone else. Before you start making complaints, you should discuss this with your commanding officer.

You're in the army. It's not kindergarten. And from your post there is nothing at all that I can see that is out of line.

Qfrank

Well BB you are wrong

I took this issue up with EO and it turns out I'm not the only one to report the racist ways of this 1SG. My documentation as well as the accounts of others in my unit have started a huge investigation, the IG, EO and CID is involved. Apparently this guy is racist and crooked all the way through.
They have removed him from the command, they took his diamond, he's no longer our 1SG. He made a public apology to the unit and walked out with his tail between his legs. There's some proof that racism is not just a white man's disease.
Strength in numbers.
Anyway thanks for your advice DaniG, you were right about that bad seed.
By the way BB you may like being called B*tch, but the soldiers in my company don't.

good to hear that they took his command, there are good 1sgts out there, but there seems to be more bad ones, they get used to everyone kissing there ass, then they go on a power trip. I had one shut his office door and threaten to " go to work on me" because my ex girlfreind called IG and told them some bull story. about how i wouldnt talk to my daughter. my daughter was six months old at the time lol. she couldnt talk. instead of asking questions my 1sgt just flipped out and threated me. I told him that i didnt think it was any of his or the armys business, as long as i show up to work at the right time and in the right uniform. He didnt like that at all and i ended up guarding about every enterence, guarding ASP, and getting about every detail that he could find.

Qfrank

I agree

Thanks Chris,
there are some excellent 1SG's out there and there are others that are on crazed power trips. It's really sad when a leader can't take the time to listen to their soldiers and do what's best for them, after all you never know when it's going to be that same guy next to you in the foxhole.

Some common sense and communication can make a big difference between a good and bad leader.

Good luck and keep your head down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">