• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change of Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanademi

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Mike & Mollie, friends of mine, got married last March. She has a 9 year old son from a previous relationship who wants to change his name to Mike's last name. The birth father has never been in the picture; i am not even sure he is listed on the birth certificate. They brought copies of forms to me that they got from www.uslegalforms.com & have asked my help in filling them out. But there are two forms included, a 'Consent to Name Change of Minor', and an 'Affidavit of Publication', that I am not sure about - do those need to be filled out & submitted too, with the birth father nowhere in the picture? Any light you could shed would be helpful.
Nanademi In Texas

S

seniorjudge

Ask the court clerk. I have heard that name changes done pro se in Texas are pretty easy. Find out for sure by making a visit to the courthouse.

nanademi

An Additional question - are there any resources that would help with how exactly the ad in the paper should be worded to be effective in fullfilling 'due diligence' RE: trying to locate birth father??

Thanks a bunch.

crystaly

California

You may want to hire a paralegal to do that part for you. It's kinda complicated if you don't know how your state want the legalities added to the add.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">