• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtla

What is the name of your state? CA

I left my ex husband in 1997 after 8 years of abuse. He tormented me and my children until one day I loaded them on a bus and fled to Colorado. I had to rebuild our lives and it was hard. We really did not hear much from him or his family, except to try and talk me into returning to him. I gave in and allowed the kids to visit one summer under my grandmother's watchful eyes, he did not take care of them. In 1999 I was re married to a great guy who has been taking care of us since. When my ex found out that I was remarried he began paying 69 per month to retain parental rights, but he has done nothing else. He has sent them 3 boxes in the last 7 years to the children, he does not call on birthdays, Christmas or any other times. He claims that we have moved and he could not contact us but it is just another lie. Now that I have entered into the Film industry I am getting calls and emails from him and his famly accusing me of not letting him contact the children. He sent an email to our son telling them to basically run away to him because we wont let them see him. The children laughed, because they know that he has not done anything for them, he just wants them now because he thinks he can get money out of it. He has been arrested twice for beating me as well as had counselors advise me to leave for my own protection. He has had a violent pass including attacking members of his family. However his family is well known in their community and tries to keep their dirty little secrets. The children are 16,12, and 10. He is now using them as pawns. We live in California and my ex is in SC There has never been arrangements through the court system. In the divorce he did not show so I was given full custody. The support was set for around 400 however I was on DSS in Colorado for the first two years and they found him and I started getting checks of $69 per month from him from colorado child support registry, even though he works for the post office and has done so for over 6 years. He has not seen the children since 1999 because he wants us to pay for it. When he did see them in 1999 it was because I took them down to see family.
What can we do to have my husband adopt the children and get this guy out of their lives?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">