• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want nothing to do with the kid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dentalcat

What is the name of your state?Florida
My psycho ex is 27 weeks pregnant with my baby (pretty sure). She wants to give the baby to her father to raise and possibly move to Brazil. I want nothing to do with her or the baby. I am only 24 and have a lot of other things in my life to take care of before I take this repsonsibility. I want to know how to get out of this situation. Can and how do I relenquish my rights? Can I do this without going through the adoption process? What other steps do I have to take? She says she will not try to screw me with child support but I want to legally cover myself if she decides to change her mind 5 years from now. Thank you for the advice.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Shoulda thought of that 27 weeks ago, eh? Unless the child is adopted, you are responsible for helping support him/her.

dentalcat

Whatever

I did think of that 27 weeks ago. Thanks for the sarcastic advice however. I used protection..Needless to say it didn't work. My ex also lied to me saying she had the abortion. Just one week ago was I informed by my ex that she is still pregnant with my baby. If it was up to me it would have been taken care of a lot earlier. Your post was of no use and I know there is a way for me to protect myself from this situation. Especially if my ex made the decision to not want to involve me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
dentalcat said:
I know there is a way for me to protect myself from this situation. Especially if my ex made the decision to not want to involve me.
Then why the frikkin' hell did you ask the question? Sure - if Mom doesn't involve you - you're good. For now. But she can come after you in years to come. Or if she ends up getting state aid - the state will come after you.

(edit) The long and the short of it is this... If you don't think the person you're going to have sex with is likely to be a good parent - DON'T HAVE SEX WITH THEM! Any moron knows that birth control is not 100% effective - you have to be prepared for the possibility that your actions will result in pregnancy. That's where your choice comes in. If she comes up pregnant - you have no say from there on out.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

Q: Can and how do I relenquish my rights?

A: No, you may not relinquish your rights.

Q: Can I do this without going through the adoption process?

A: No.

Q: What other steps do I have to take?

A: Get a child support order and pay your child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">