• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Visitor Parking Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Altor22

What is the name of your state? Actually, up in Ontario, Canada.

Here's what happened...

My girlfriend frequently comes over night at my condo mainly on week-ends.
Visitors staying overnight must be registered, so I frequently makre sure to register her.
Around October, we forgot to register her car and received a warning.

Then in December (around Christmas) we forgot to register her car and she received a ticket of $65 from the security company that oversees my condo.

She lost track of the ticket.

Just last night she was visiting my condo (not to stay overnight) and upon returning to her car she noticed that she had been ticketed by the security company for $45.
Upon further investigation, because she hadn't paid the 1st ticket she was no longer authorized to park in my condominium according to the security company whom my condo fees pay!

She received no warning of being declared unauthorized, neither did I.

My questions:
What can I do about both tickets?

Was the 1st ticket reasonable considering my girlfriend's car was a frequently registered vehicle at the condo?

Is the 2nd ticket reasonable considering no notice was given on top of the fact that she wasn't even staying overnight?

I contacted the property management company for my condo.
The contact person stated:

- he couldn't cancel the ticket; he compared the situation to running a red light..."you may have not intended to do it but if you did it and the cops were watching you get busted".

- that they have extra parking spots available at $40/month...it would minimize the hassle of always having to register visitor cars.

I later surfed the net and found the security company's web site.
www.securworks.com
If you go into the parking enforcement section you'll find a detailed FAQ of how they enforce parking for condo boards.

Turns out parking tickets CAN be cancelled.
The security company works on behalf of the condo and property management company. Tickets can be cancelled at the discretion of the condo or the property management company!!!

So what do I do now?
Did my property manager lie to me?

Securworks' website says tickets may be cancelled at the condo's/property management's discretion.
Property Manager guy tells me he can't (or won't) cancel the ticket.

HomeGuru

Altor22 said:
What is the name of your state? Actually, up in Ontario, Canada.

Here's what happened...

My girlfriend frequently comes over night at my condo mainly on week-ends.
Visitors staying overnight must be registered, so I frequently makre sure to register her.
Around October, we forgot to register her car and received a warning.

Then in December (around Christmas) we forgot to register her car and she received a ticket of $65 from the security company that oversees my condo.

She lost track of the ticket.

Just last night she was visiting my condo (not to stay overnight) and upon returning to her car she noticed that she had been ticketed by the security company for $45.
Upon further investigation, because she hadn't paid the 1st ticket she was no longer authorized to park in my condominium according to the security company whom my condo fees pay!

She received no warning of being declared unauthorized, neither did I.

My questions:
What can I do about both tickets?

Was the 1st ticket reasonable considering my girlfriend's car was a frequently registered vehicle at the condo?

Is the 2nd ticket reasonable considering no notice was given on top of the fact that she wasn't even staying overnight?

I contacted the property management company for my condo.
The contact person stated:

- he couldn't cancel the ticket; he compared the situation to running a red light..."you may have not intended to do it but if you did it and the cops were watching you get busted".

- that they have extra parking spots available at $40/month...it would minimize the hassle of always having to register visitor cars.

I later surfed the net and found the security company's web site.
www.securworks.com
If you go into the parking enforcement section you'll find a detailed FAQ of how they enforce parking for condo boards.

Turns out parking tickets CAN be cancelled.
The security company works on behalf of the condo and property management company. Tickets can be cancelled at the discretion of the condo or the property management company!!!

So what do I do now?
Did my property manager lie to me?

Securworks' website says tickets may be cancelled at the condo's/property management's discretion.
Property Manager guy tells me he can't (or won't) cancel the ticket.

**A: pay up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">