• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Charge (NC)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xx2jade2xx

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I got a simple possession of marijuana charge in 2002, my senior year of high school. I am now in Nursing school and am worried that this charge may make my licensure a hassle. I mean I know people have still received their licenses for charges worse than that but I was wondering if there is any way I can try to get this off of my record? I also have a DUI but for some reason it doesn't show up on my background check. The DUI was in 2001 so I was still a minor so I'm not sure if that matters. Oh yeah, the DUI was in SC too. Thanks for any advice ya'll can offer!

Emily

Were you a Juvenile on both of the Stated Charges?? If so a charge such as that does not usually follow you after you have became an adult. Good Luck. Not Advice. For What it's Worth. Patrolman/J. Buckner

xx2jade2xx

I was 18 at the time of the Simple Possession charge. I was given 18 months probation but was let off early since I was in college and the paperwork for transferring the probation couldn't keep up with me moving back and forth from home to college to back home to on my own in another county so they just terminated my probation. I did complete treatment and all of the conditions set forth for both charges. So basically I'm wondering if I could try to get the judge to take it off my record or who I would talk to if that is possible?
Thanks,
Emily

Emly, I would check for certain that this is on your record. Do you know the complete conditions of your probation? maybe the stipulations were that after succsessful completion of probation the charges would come off your record or not be part of you criminal history.

If indeed the charges are on you criminal history and you do know who the Judge was that was over this issue in court. I would certainly try and write a leter explaining the situation it could not hurt. Also for a fee of course you can get an Attorney and usually after five years you can get a record expunjed. I would be somewhat skeptical though. Having been 18 and unsure of whether or not the record is even showing this drug offence. See if you can get the terms of your probation. also was the probation Formal or regular probation? In other words did you have a probation Officer? I wish you well. For What it's worth. Not advice patrolman/ J. Buckner

xx2jade2xx

JOHN BUCKNER said:
Emly, I would check for certain that this is on your record. Do you know the complete conditions of your probation? maybe the stipulations were that after succsessful completion of probation the charges would come off your record or not be part of you criminal history.

If indeed the charges are on you criminal history and you do know who the Judge was that was over this issue in court. I would certainly try and write a leter explaining the situation it could not hurt. Also for a fee of course you can get an Attorney and usually after five years you can get a record expunjed. I would be somewhat skeptical though. Having been 18 and unsure of whether or not the record is even showing this drug offence. See if you can get the terms of your probation. also was the probation Formal or regular probation? In other words did you have a probation Officer? I wish you well. For What it's worth. Not advice patrolman/ J. Buckner
The simple possession charge is still on my record, the DUI isn't on there anymore though as far as I know. Just to make sure I am going to go request a background check in the county that I got the DUI. Does that matter, the fact that they do the check in a different state or county? I was thinking I could write the judge also. You think I should write the judge that gave me probation/convicted me of the charge or the judge that terminated my probation? Yes, I did have a probation officer. My stipulations were that I had to complete counseling, report monthly and do a drug screen, and not be around people that use drugs and all that good stuff. I completed all of this even though I was moving a lot and in college. I got along w/ my probation officers, all 4 of them, haha... Oh and as for the DUI I had to complete ADSAP (I think that's what it's called) and lost my license for 6 months. Anyways, thanks a lot for all the advice.
Emily

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">