• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to apply for Social Security!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

laissezfaire

What is the name of your state? Arizona
:confused: I have just been placed on leave from my job because I am pregnant with twins and my job includes a lot of physical labor. I applied for my long-term disability insurance and they say that after I get my first month's payment I am required to apply for Social Security benifits. I know I won't be approved because for Social Security to consider you "disabled", your injury or illness has to either last over 1 year or result in death. My problem is that I am a libertarian and I abhor anything government funded. Do I have to apply for Social Security? It goes against everything I believe in. It's also why I thought I was covering myself by getting the insurance in the first place. I also think it's shady that the insurance company can take your premiums like clockwork but when it comes time to pay, they dump that load on the backs of the taxpayers.

Beth3

I applied for my long-term disability insurance and they say that after I get my first month's payment I am required to apply for Social Security benifits. Who is "they"? I agree you won't qualify for SSDI benefits as your condition is temporary.

Have you reviewed the language in the LTD insurance booklet? It is not at all uncommon for the Plan to state that LTD benefits will be integrated with SSDI if the claimaint becomes eligible for SSDI but I've never read Plan language that says the claimaint must apply regardless of their circumstance. If the Plan says that you must do so however in order to continue to be eligible for LTD benefits, then I guess you have to. You'll get a denial letter from the SSA, consquently the LTD carrier will be liable for the entire indemnity benefit up to the limits of the Plan.

S

seniorjudge

Q: My problem is that I am a libertarian and I abhor anything government funded.

A: You could become Amish; they are not required to pay social security and the food is wonderful.

rmet4nzkx

seniorjudge said:
Q: My problem is that I am a libertarian and I abhor anything government funded.

A: You could become Amish; they are not required to pay social security and the food is wonderful.
But there is lots of labor and no computers :) OP was trying to avoid the labor of employment prior to the other labor, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">