• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civilian filing abandonment charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HSWilbur

What is the name of your state? WA

I live in Washington state and I have no idea where my legal spouse lives at this point. He is a member of the Air Force and we have been separated (not legally) for three years. He has been using the money he's getting to support me, his legal dependant to pay off his own bad debts, and he also has a child now. He refuses to tell me where he is so I can have him served, and I've spend so much money trying to get this divorce done that there is none left to go any further with it. I would like to file abandonment charges, get the divorce, and sue for the money he's been stealing for three years, but I don't know where to begin! Can someone tell me?

whats his name i might be able to find out where hes at on AKO, i dont know if they have Air Force in there, but its worth a try

lvn4ever

civilian filing abandonment charges

This prob. isn't that tough a nut to crack, although if you are unfamiliar with the military it may seem so. here are some suggestions:
*Talk to a civilian lawyer. Many offer free consultations which may help you to see how to do alot of the legwork on finding your husband. You are going to need a lawyer eventually anyway.
*the internet has several sites that help you locate military members. Unfortunatelly I think this work the best if they have registered with the given site (like if they are wanting to network with old buddies etc) but you can give it a try
*If you have an Air Force base nearby, get an appt with the JAG (law)office and tell them the story. They will be able to direct you or connect you to the right person in Washington DC who handles the records for you husbnad. It is nearly impossible to talk to a JAG guy on the phone, so don't be discouraged if it takes a visit to get information. Its just the way it is, nothing personal.
*If you don't have a base nearby, go to any Air Force office in your area-National Guard, Reserves, recruiting. Explain that you know that THEY can't help you, but you need guidance on connecting with someone who CAN help you.
*I hope you have an ID card still. Be ready to show anyone who asks your card. Also have your marriage license ready to show to back up what you say. Leave all drama out of the story, just that he is not meeting his contractual obligations and his whereabouts are not known by you. Believe me, the Air Force, knows where he is
*ALWAYS take good notes on everything that you are told, most importantly names and positions of who you talk to. Comes in handy later when you need to say "Sgt Brown told me that this office WOULD be able to locate my husband"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">